Chisel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

View Stefaz1's Photo Album My Photos
Chisel

Hi All

I wonder if someone could offer me advice?

I'm not a chippy or work in the trade but i do all my own work at home and a few properties I own - my dad passed me down some footprint chisels and now they are getting a little worn despite looking after them and keeping them sharp.

I am after buying a new set of chisels that are decent but i won't be using these that much - i'm happy to pay money for chisels but reading numerous reviews chisels like Bahco and stanley fatmax get really poor reviews and everyone recommends Lie-Nielsen but they are very expensive

So i'm looking for some sound advice for a home DIY'er on chisels to buy thay will get a fair bit of use but not hammered (as such)

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I have probably 35 chisels from different manufacturers and I don't see a great deal difference in any of them. The only chisel I have which seems to hold an edge better is a homemade one I made from a jointer knife. What is important is how you sharpen them and that is more than a little difficult to describe online. Your dad's chisels I'm sure would be fine correctly sharpened. You first grind them and then by hand with different grit sharpening stones polish an edge on the chisel. Then to finish them off strop them on a piece of leather loaded down with jewelry's rouge. This puts an edge on the chisel as sharp as a razor blade. Looking at the edge of a chisel through a microscope after grinding the edge is ragged with bits of loose metal hanging off of it. If these bits of metal are not honed away they will press into the edge of the chisel gouging it.

If you are going to buy chisels I would buy ones with plastic handles. They are designed for rough duty and will hold up to a lot of abuse. With wooden handle chisels you would have to use them with a wooden mallet only. Using a hammer will tear up the handles otherwise.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Home Depot sell buck bros chisels that seem to get ok reviews for inexpensive chisels. Start with a set and add other sizes as needed.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode