Cherry cabinet. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Roybrew

post #1 of 7 Old 11-04-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Cherry cabinet.

Here is the cabinet i just finished. Most of the cherry that I used belonged to my wifes pappaw. He passed away 25 years ago, and she found an entry in her grandmother's diary that read "pap went to an auction the other day, and bought some special lumber. He put it in the top of the shed, and it'll probably be there till kingdom come". I got this wood out of that shed 12 years ago, and she didn't find that written in the diary till last year. It looked like old barn lumber in the top of that shed, dusty, bug infested, leaked on and bird you know what on it. A few passes through the planer, and it was already dark with age and gorgeous. The only stain I used was on the newer pieces that had to get to finish it.

I started on the sides first, don't ask, I realy didn't have a clue what I was doing. The rails and stiles are the old cherry. I had to fit the pieces and disassemble and stain the new cherry. All of this was sawmill cut. I cut the pieces for the base and fitted before routing the edge. Big mistake on my part. I should have left some extra length on them because when I started to cut one of the short side piece on the router table, the router jerked it out of my hand and shot it into a block wall. Uunnn. I didn't like the looks on the inside side of the panels, So I planed some cherry down to about a 1/4 inch thick to use as a vaneer much better.

Time for a little crappie fishing with my dad. Got to take a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2016, 01:45 AM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
That's a pretty cabinet and your wife should really enjoy with the history behind it. I like old wood and especially like simple finish and not colored with heavy stain.....I haven't yet found a tree growing in some of the colors they call it to be in a stain...... Looked like dad was having a good time!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-05-2016, 08:53 AM

View adot45's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful work and a great story. I like how you did the shelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2016, 10:43 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Fantastic design and build! Consider making a copy of the diary info, attaching it to the cabinet (say underside), and dated when you created this cabinet to keep the history going into the next generations. IMO, watching some of those PBS Antique Road Shows that have history info/pictures attached to the item always is a good thing for clarification. Thanks for sharing, and be safe.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-06-2016, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Here's a little more. I started on the doors next. I have done an open mortice and tenons before, but this time I wanted a hidden mortice. I planed and trimmed and layed out my motices. According to what I have read cutting the motices should be first, so I left a little extra length on the mortice ends so I wouldn't split them out. I used the drill press to remove most of the meat. Then the chopping My Scooby Doo shirt helps me think. The I cut the tenons The extra length was trimmed after assembling I am glad I made my bench with 3/4 inch plywood with 1/4 inch luan on top because I may need to replace the top in a few years. I realy need a better clamping setup cause screwing things down is rough on a bench top. Alot of router work went into the doors.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-06-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

When I had the doors and shelves made I ordered the glass and mirrors from my home town glass shop. They are a father and son place, and have always been helpful. I hope they stay in business. I put a new full light back door in last year in September While weed eating a random stone was slung into the glass. Oohhh that sucked. The father and son came out measured and ordered the correct replacement glass insert, and installed it the next week. They were very helpful. Anyhow once the glass came in I routed the rabbet on my shelves and door frames. I waited because I wanted a good fit with out to big of gap. i sanded the edge of the glass after fitting the glass in the shelves because the glass was fush with the wood, and I wanted to eliminate sharp edges. My router job didn't work out to weel. I should've done better. I wanted the mirrors in the back removable for moving purposes, and replacement if they ever get broke, and I wanted shelf support in the center, so there wouldn't be any sag in the shelves because of weight issues. So I used a 1/2 plywood back, and made a center piece that was rabbeted on both sides for the mirror thickness. This picture is hard to make out. This taken looking down (top removed) and what you see is the center piece and edge of mirrors, plywood back, and bottom of cabinet. I installed two plastic mirror holders on each side (not in picture). Here is what it looked like with mirrors removed and center piece stained with the shelf support holes drilled and mirror holders on left. then I routered the top edge and sanded. . Carried it up, slid the mirrors in from the top, and then screwed the top down from inside. I realy enjoyed building this, but next time I am going to have better plans drawn up. Thanks for looking. I have some peach logs in the basement that I am going to see what I can make with them.

Roy
The Following User Says Thank You to Roybrew For This Useful Post:
woodchux (11-06-2016)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-2016, 02:00 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice job! Cherry will darken over time.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode