checking out a outdoor furniture business - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Early morning scroll saw

View villagerich's Photo Album My Photos
checking out a outdoor furniture business

I have looked into investing in an outdoor furniture business . The opportunity provides all of the information and patterns to get started. They will offer all of the material at a discounted price. They say that they provide 24 hr as needed support. They have a full line of outdoor wood furniture that they provide the templates for and sale support. The reason I have not name them is I do not know if that is acceptable. Here is my question. Has anyone invested in this program and if so can you give me some incite? I have looked everywhere for information on this company and cannot find any. I have read a few reviews from the BBB. I would like to talk to someone that is actually doing this program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 03:47 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerich View Post
I would like to talk to someone that is actually doing this program.
Rich - welcome to the forum
knowing what part of the world you live in may help a little.

you aren't by chance referencing the plans and business model from
Ted's 16,000 Free Plans are you ??????

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-26-2019 at 04:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Smith_inFL For This Useful Post:
villagerich (11-26-2019)
post #3 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 04:17 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
How do you think that you are going to find someone who "actually" has done the program without giving the name of the company?

There are many, many factors that you need to consider before going into a retail business. Back in 1981 I purchased a business and ran it for 19 years before selling it. I purchased an existing business which had knows factors. You are looking at opening a completely unknown.

The first of these is finances. Do you have the money to support your family and the business for at least the first year?

I will leave it at that for now.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
villagerich (11-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Early morning scroll saw

No I have read enough about Ted's and don't think it is a good idea. I am asking about Eureka woodworking. The system looks good, I just cannot find anyone who has invested in this program.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Rich! As John said, add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

I have never heard of them but a quick search finds pros and cons but that's to be expected. Here's some info and discussion thread from one of our sister sites - https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/13371

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I personally would search out legitimate plans online first.
make a few items and try to market them yourself and skip
some Get Rich Quick scheme.
if you find that you have a PROFITABLE market base in your area,
and you feel that you can quit your day job and go full time,
then you can give them your money.
(do you have a reliable source of furniture grade cypress, cedar and redwood??)

checking out a outdoor furniture business-get-rick-quick.jpg

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 07:00 PM

View sancho57's Photo Album My Photos
Funny this subject it brought up. (Don't laugh) But I was watching this you tube video. This guy builds oly farm tables out of 2 x and 4x material. He said he just makes one for him self then puts it on Craigslist, FB, and any local online sales/ markket places.

We have a local one on FB for my city and local nearby cities. He said it makes sense build on for your self, put it online as if it sells great if not well he needed it anyway. He notes in his add that the can be made any size custom size the customer wants.

You dont have to stick with outdoor furniture but anything you make really. Its all about the photo really.

Currently I build to order things but would like to sell more.

I dont buy into gimmicks , I dont make heirloom type furniture.

Why not heirloom?

It takes a while to build

Because it cost alot and it limits your customer base.

So there is money to be made. Its just finding your niche and reaching your customer base.

I attached a table I ecently built for myself. Made the top, bought the legs and chairs. I would sell tis table only. Unless they wanted a matching bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3875.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	578.7 KB
ID:	381247  

post #8 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 PM

Also check out youtube Jennie and Davis they run a woodworking business recently relocated to Houston. They do get into how they build as much as they give out business advice. They will go through a project then explain pricing of the project. I like them
post #9 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sancho57 View Post
Also check out youtube Jennie and Davis they run a woodworking business recently relocated to Houston. They do get into how they build as much as they give out business advice. They will go through a project then explain pricing of the project. I like them
I hope their business knowledge is better than their woodworking knowledge. I just watched a video of them making a cutting board. I think they have been getting help from his father, not sure. Anyway, they glued up the strips parallel as they should. Then they made a crosscut in the form of a decorative wave. Yes, the cut was completely across the grain. Then they took a thin strip of purple heart with glue, and inserted it between the two sections of the cutting board and with clamps pulled the whole thing together. It was a pretty addition, the purple wave, but it is 90* to the long grain - more or less due to the slight wave shape. I'm sure they will sell a bunch of them.

And yes, it is a cute video.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 11-27-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
My first thought is liability. What if someone buys a chair, it collapses and you get sued?
FWIW, I was in Lancaster, PA two years ago. The Amish are making their outdoor furniture as Adirondack chairs, etc., out of colored synthetic wood material. Lasts forever and needs no painting when made or anytime thereafter.
You will also have to deal with the state OSHA inspectors. Some can be most helpful and others can be very strict and inflexible. My wife dealt with health inspectors at her school. They always found something to mark off.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 11-27-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 10:05 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I think if you're good at it, and you put the effort into it, you can make money doing it, whether or not you buy a Eureka package.

What I would do is first try it on my own.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 AM

If you are planning to sell this stuff out of your garage, expect garage sale prices.
Also, are you far enough away from your neighbors that they wont complain about loud machinery
Is your home/garage sitting on 'commercial property' zoning.
Have you gone around to places that sell similar items and see how much they charge? If so, do you casually drive by from time to time to see haw fast this stuff is moving?
Will you have to rent/lease commercial property to build/display/sell your merchandise?
Are you going to sell your merchandise to a retailer who will give you less than 50 cents on a dollar?
If you want to build on a decent scale, you will need to hire people to help build, clean-up, help move, pack and ship, etc
Will they supply you with a verifiable list of other similar business franchises they have sold where you can actually visit these operations and meet the owners face to face on their location
My final question is: why would you even consider a franchise on a labor intensive woodworking business?

Lots to consider here.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #13 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Early morning scroll saw

I have made and sold several pieces. I have found a good source of patterns. I was just checking to see if the Eureka program was a good fit or not. I thank everyone for their input. My best bet is to continue with what I am doing and make pieces and sell them and take orders.
ThanksRich
post #14 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
I think if you're good at it, and you put the effort into it, you can make money doing it, whether or not you buy a Eureka package.

What I would do is first try it on my own.

Just because you are good at something and put effort into it does not mean money can be made. Businesses that meet that criteria fail every day. There are many, many more factors in play.

You may be able to make money as an aside when making one a a time and selling that one before making another.

George

Last edited by difalkner; 11-27-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: fixed quote
post #15 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Hey Tony they just moved to Houston and are setting up a business there. Who knows they maybe yer neighbors :>D
post #16 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Tony, They usually tell ya te pricing info. Thats what Im more interested in. The tell ya right out their videos arent geared toward how to woodworking but more towards the business end. Thus the pricing info.

They just moved to Houston Tx, who knows maybe they will be yer neighbors :>D
post #17 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerich View Post
.............. My best bet is to continue with what I am doing and make pieces and sell them and take orders.
ThanksRich
I think that is a very wise choice

Tony B

post #18 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=sancho57;2081705.....................They just moved to Houston Tx, who knows maybe they will be yer neighbors :>D[/QUOTE]

Ya neva know..
When I get back to Houston, I will probably check them out.

Tony B

post #19 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 02:16 PM

Tony they seem pretty nice, they said that they dont now anyone there

Here is a video I liked just proejct ideas to see with a few tips

post #20 of 21 Old 11-27-2019, 05:06 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Just because you are good at something and put effort into it does not mean money can be made. Businesses that meet that criteria fail every day. There are many, many more factors in play.

You may be able to make money as an aside when making one a a time and selling that one before making another.

George

I guess what I'm saying is he should try it on his own to test the waters before spending money on a Eureka package. Eureka can't help if the person doesn't have the talent and work ethic.

Tags
business, outdoor furniture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode