Carpenters square not square - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Carpenters square not square

I suspected that my square wasn't square so I checked it and sure enough, it's a little out. Maybe 1/16 at the end of the 24" leg. I have read that to fix a square, you use a center punch in the crook, either on the outside or inside and it will drive the legs either together or apart depending on where you punch it. This is an aluminum square so I figured "this should be easy". Yeah right. There is NO WAY that this method works. It won't even budge and I've hit it a dozen times...HARD ! Any other ideas besides getting a new square?

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A square like that can be very useful. What you need to do is drill a hole in the corner of it and when you need to put a rope over a rafter thread the rope through the hole and use the square to throw the rope over. It's not worth it to use if for a square anymore. You need a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (06-16-2012)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
There is a little bit about it here. I don't use aluminum squares, but I have fixed steel ones that were only slightly out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
Since the punch isn't helping except to add frustration try this method recommended for steel.

Copied from "Handy Farm Devices - cobleigh-chapter 2

If the square is found to be out or inaccurate, it is not necessary to throw it away; it can be made true by a simple method by any handy mechanic. If you do not possess an anvil, make a substitute by sticking the ax into a chopping block, lay the square on the head of the ax so that the bearing will come from the throat or inside angle to the heel or outside of the square. To close up the angle, strike with a hammer a sharp blow at a point near the heel; to open the angle, strike near the throat at a point indicated in Figure 7. Don't strike too hard. Use a bell-face nail hammer and the dent will not be noticed.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
An alternate if the centre punch method does not work.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,42936,42944

You may feel this is more than the square is worth. I bought one since I wanted an easier reference edge in addition to being able to calibrate the square.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
The technique of punching the corners of a square was a bit more effective when framing squares had a tapered thickness. The old squares were twice as thick at the corner than at the ends of the legs. Translating old methods to the modern, even thickness squares doesn't work as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
out or in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post
I suspected that my square wasn't square so I checked it and sure enough, it's a little out. Maybe 1/16 at the end of the 24" leg. I have read that to fix a square, you use a center punch in the crook, either on the outside or inside and it will drive the legs either together or apart depending on where you punch it. This is an aluminum square so I figured "this should be easy". Yeah right. There is NO WAY that this method works. It won't even budge and I've hit it a dozen times...HARD ! Any other ideas besides getting a new square?
When you reference off the long leg is the short leg "In" from 90 degrees or out on the inside only or both? Reason I ask is it may just be one of the surfaces is whacky, not both. You could take a mill file to the side that's out and file it back to 90 degrees.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode