Woodworking Talk banner

Can you use a hand planer to do this?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Admiral 
#1 ·
I want to make a few multiple wood cutting boards but do not own a planer. Can I use a hand planer on a 1x1 foot cutting board? I know you can use a planer for narrow boards but how about planing a wide piece? New to all this so sorry for such a easy question!

#2 ·
You'll need a means of holding it very steady. Either a vice or some clamps.

But yes, you could do it this way...They did for a long time before power planers. You'll want to use a smoothing plane of good quality that has been freshly sharpened. Your glue-up should be as flat as possible to keep the arm fatigue to a minimum.

Do you have the plane yet? Familiar with its use, tuning, and sharpening?

#5 ·
From the size of the workpeice you mention I'd say a #3 or 4 is just the ticket ! Hand planes aren't just for "joiners" or cabinet makers. Once you goof with them a bit you find they are pretty universal tools. And no running back to the shop to use a machine. Just a couple points of caution before you go into attack mode . . . adjust the blade on a peice of scrap first and to make sure your blade is good-n-sharp. Theres no faster way to get turned off of planes then to try and force & hack & fight with a dull one. And go slow at first. Sounds corny but once you get the hang of it you'll be sliding down the hand tool slope with a lot of others. Nothing like it !

#8 ·
No expert and I assume there are those more experienced than me. But two thing I learned the hard way. Sharp blades, you probably have that covered. But if they can't shave hair, they are not sharp.

Second. Take small bites with the plane. Start by taking small whispy shavings off. To big a bite leads to lots of problems.

OK one more. Square the blade with the sole. Otherwise when you finish it you can discover small grooves where one side was taking more stock than the other. And it didn't show till the finish was on. DAMHIKT

#9 ·
If you've not used the plane before, do yourself a favor and take it apart, clean it up, make sure all the mating surfaces are clean and match up well, check to see if the sole is relatively flat, sharpen up the iron keeping the edge square to the sides, and also make sure the chipbreaker edge is honed so it mates evenly with the iron, set it less than 1/16th from the edge of the iron, then start trying to make shavings on a scrap board, fine at first and adjust it as you go.

Have fun. RN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.