Can you tell if this bookcase solid teak or teak veneer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

View Gina's Photo Album My Photos
Can you tell if this bookcase solid teak or teak veneer?

Hi, someone is selling this corner book shelf that I'm going to buy. I asked the seller if it's veneer or solid teak. He said he thinks it's solid. Is there anyway to tell by looking at this picture before going all the way to pick it up? He said it's really heavy, but so are my cheap bookcases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Gina; 02-01-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
generally cant tell from photos unless up close.
My best guess so far as I can see is it is plywood with sold edging.
By looking at the upper photo, the better lighted inside right hand side has a repetitive pattern which is an excellent indicator of probably plywood.
Generally, case good this size are rarely ever solid wood anymore.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 02-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
Gina (02-01-2016)
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Hi, someone is selling this corner book shelf that I'm going to buy. I asked the seller if it's veneer or solid teak. He said he thinks it's solid. Is there anyway to tell by looking at this picture before going all the way to pick it up? He said it's really heavy, but so are my cheap bookcases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you an experienced woodworker? Could you tell what it is if you looked at it in person?

Pictures too small and far away to tell anything.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Gina (02-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 02:55 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Are you an experienced woodworker? Could you tell what it is if you looked at it in person?

Pictures too small and far away to tell anything.

George
Yes I am a very experienced woodworker.

Start by looking at the space between the top shelf and the top of cabinet. Notice the 2 dark spots. Then look at the space below it and you will see another repitive pattern of 2 dark spots and the same for the space below that. Then less color differentiation between the next lower shelves.
What is the probability that several boards came out of the saw mill exactly mirroring eachother? and ended up in a lumber yard without being shuffled by constant loading and unloading? Actually the odds are not that bad, but my money still will go with the plywood. Unless this piece was really old, case goods are rarely solid anymore. the design tends toward a more newer design as the older designs were a little more ornate including shelf stretchers in the front.
To be certain, one would have to get up close and personal and look for gaps and irregularities at the joints or lack there of.

I have been a commercial woodworker for many years. Also an inspector on offshore oil rigs and an amateur paleontologist for a while. between paleontology and inspection, you eye gets trained to spot anomalies.

I could be wrong, but my instincts at first say plywood.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
Gina (02-01-2016)
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

View Gina's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, Tony.
I believe George was asking me, but thanks for the added information. I don't know if this makes any difference, but he said they are made in Denmark and they were purchased from Scan Design. Scan Design has an almost identical shelf for sale for $599, but it's not solid wood, so maybe these aren't either. This is the company that they are supposedly from http://www.scandesign.com/collection...ries-bookcases
The seller is asking for $85 for both, by the way.

Hi George.
No, I'm not, an experienced wood worker. I've recently become interested in wood working and I am starting to learn the very basics, although I'm not really sure where to begin. I haven't actually looked at the pictured shelves in person. These are the pictures from craigslist. I will look at them tonight when I go pick them up. I just wanted to know if there was a way to know if they were solid by looking at it from the pic. I want the shelves for my master bath, and I read that teak is great for humid places. I assume it should be solid, although I'm really not sure. I also understand teak is pretty expensive, so I thought this would be a great deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode