Can I sand again? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
Can I sand again?

Just made a couple of cutting boards as Christmas gifts and have a question as this is only my second attempt at end grain boards.... I sanded everything to 220 and all was great and smooth as glass. I applied a few coats mineral oil and the next morning it seems as if the grain has raised a bit and you can feel the seams when running a hand over the board. Question is can I resand after applying the oil or will it cause more trouble than if fixes? Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
You should be fine, in fact get some 320 and 400 grit wet or dry paper and sand with some mineral oil.

I don't use mineral oil, but the product I use I typically "wet sand" to 1000 grit, makes for a "baby butt" smooth surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
tylerdru90 (11-22-2016)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You can sand again however expect to go through a lot of sandpaper. The mineral oil will gum up on the paper pretty bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Just to follow up..... I ran the orbital sander over them with 220 and while it gummed up about 3 sheets in the process they are smooth glass now and ready to be wrapped and put under the tree.

Thanks to all for the feed back.

TT
post #5 of 6 Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOKC View Post
Just to follow up..... I ran the orbital sander over them with 220 and while it gummed up about 3 sheets in the process they are smooth glass now and ready to be wrapped and put under the tree.

Thanks to all for the feed back.

TT
What you might do in the future is wipe the wood down with a damp cloth and let it dry every time you go to a grit change on sanding. Then when you go to finish, the finish shouldn't raise the grain because you already did that with water.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What you might do in the future is wipe the wood down with a damp cloth and let it dry every time you go to a grit change on sanding. Then when you go to finish, the finish shouldn't raise the grain because you already did that with water.
Thanks Steve, I will be making another one after the first of the year and will give that a try.

TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode