Calling the HVAC experts (again) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Calling the HVAC experts (again)

I know, I know, not woodworking, but I know there are a lot of people here with varying talents!

My heat died last night. The problem looks like it's the blower. I used my problem determination skills to observe that the blower isn't spinning! :)

Anyway, when the system calls for heat, or you set the 'stat to fan-on, the blower oscillates back and forth for a few seconds and then quits. This is a variable speed blower that ramps up the airflow slowly and can vary the speed according to whether the system is calling for heat or cooling. It's actually pretty cool - until it dies... I know the motor is expensive, so I'm hoping there's something I can fix to nurse this along until the system is replaced (It's a 15 year old Carrier unit and I feel the end is near).

I'm hoping it's something easy like a capacitor, but I don't see a readily visible capacitor on the unit. Do these variable speed motors even have capacitors? Any suggestions or ideas for what's wrong that might not involve replacing the entire motor/blower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 11:14 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
there is a sister website of this one that is designed
for the DIY people from one end of the spectrum to the other.
here is the HVAC link: https://www.diychatroom.com/f17/
hope you get it fixed quickly before it gets cold(er).

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Catpower can help you ......

@Catpower is a HVAC expert who knows all about motors. He would be able to help, I'm certain.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 05:54 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I know, I know, not woodworking, but I know there are a lot of people here with varying talents!

My heat died last night. The problem looks like it's the blower. I used my problem determination skills to observe that the blower isn't spinning! :)

Anyway, when the system calls for heat, or you set the 'stat to fan-on, the blower oscillates back and forth for a few seconds and then quits. This is a variable speed blower that ramps up the airflow slowly and can vary the speed according to whether the system is calling for heat or cooling. It's actually pretty cool - until it dies... I know the motor is expensive, so I'm hoping there's something I can fix to nurse this along until the system is replaced (It's a 15 year old Carrier unit and I feel the end is near).

I'm hoping it's something easy like a capacitor, but I don't see a readily visible capacitor on the unit. Do these variable speed motors even have capacitors? Any suggestions or ideas for what's wrong that might not involve replacing the entire motor/blower?

You have an ECM or Electronically Commutated Motor, and nothing is cheap on them, if it is a GE you can take the end off (the module) I can't remember if it is on the top of the circuit board inside or if you have to take a couple screws off, but there is a thermistor on the board, you can get one from a place called Zebra for about $20 or call Digi-key and they are about 10 cents, Digikey will work with you but they need the number off the thermistor and just solder in the new one

But if that isn't it, they aren't very serviceable

There is no app for experience
post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 06:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've used this site .....

Pretty good site for electronics:
https://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Prote...oaAlonEALw_wcB

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 06:26 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A 15 year old unit is really not at the stage where I would be thinking of replacing it. I generally figure at least 20 years on the heat pumps that I buy.

George
post #7 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, our house is over 40 years old, still have the original heat pump. We have lived here a bit over 23 years. Replaced the defrost switch and a fuse in the box on the main line.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Actually the heat exchanger the major part of the furnace is still probably under warranty quite a few were for 20 years

post #9 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
You have an ECM or Electronically Commutated Motor, and nothing is cheap on them, if it is a GE you can take the end off (the module) I can't remember if it is on the top of the circuit board inside or if you have to take a couple screws off, but there is a thermistor on the board, you can get one from a place called Zebra for about $20 or call Digi-key and they are about 10 cents, Digikey will work with you but they need the number off the thermistor and just solder in the new one

But if that isn't it, they aren't very serviceable

What are the chances that the problem is the module itself and not the motor?
Replacement modules are reasonably inexpensive, but buying the entire is quite a bit more.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 01:52 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Our AC heat went down about two weeks ago and the bill was almost $500. It was some kind of module and it cost about $350. I use to work on our cars but they made them where you can't work on them unless you have training.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Most of the modules have to be preprogrammed to work with the specific motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode