Calling All Tormek Users!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Terry Q

post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Calling All Tormek Users!!

I'm curious to know if Tormek Users think it was worth their investment.

I'm trying to get into using more hand tools and that means sharpening them. I have tool guides and stones, but that razor edge seems elusive, probably due to my impatience.

By comparison, I sharpen my lathe tools with a CBM wheel on a low speed grinder and it seems to work for me. So, I'm thinking that the Tormek might be right for my planes, chisels and the like, but man, it's a lot of dough.

Is there anyone who owns a Tormek that says "man, that's the best money I've ever spent"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You would still have to learn to use the Tormek to have the results you want. I've never used anything like the Tormek. I think I would have to start over learning how to sharpen and then unless you had a couple of them you would only have two stones on the machine at once, you would take the sharpening process so far and then change finer stones to finish the job. Using natural stones by hand I can take a chisel from the grinder to razor sharp in about ten minutes.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Grizzly knock off of the Tormek, it does really put an edge on the tools but it is rather slow. It works much better with the Tormek accessories (tool holders) though, but even with the Grizzly holders it does good, they are just a little sloppy

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 08:18 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
My Brother-In-Law bought one because it was the cat's meow when they came out. It quickly became a dust collector in his shop. His complaints were it was too slow, didn't offer enough grits, and really needed the accessories to be really useful. He's a knife maker by profession now and they don't use anything like a Tormek where he works. I have two double sided water stones and a 6" variable speed grinder equipped with an 80 grit wheel and a 2" wide buffing wheel. Like Steve stated, I can bring a shaving edge to almost anything in 10 - 15 minutes. All of this stuff cost a lot less than a Tormek and takes up a bit less room in my small shop. Not saying the Tormek is a bad product, just don't see the value in it. I'd characterize it as a rather elegant answer in search of a question.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-01-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added blather
post #5 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Tormek T-7. Like every sharpening product/system you use there is a learning curve in getting good results. If the stock stone it freshly dressed it sharpens quickly enough, but if you are SHAPING a cutting edge making big changes to the cutting angle or bevel, it can be done much quicker on a bench grinder. They offer adaptors to use their jigs with your bench grinder for just that reason.

Tormek believes that once the tool is sharpened, you refresh your cutting edge by honing it on the leather honing wheel(s), saving the need to sharpen as often.

Because the sharpening is done on a curved wheel (like a grinder) you hollow grind your bevels. The advantages/disadvantages of hollow grinding your tools is another topic altogether. But the edge of a hollow ground tool can be quickly resharpened on a flat stone, keeping the angle consistent without the need of using a microbevel to speed up sharpening when flat grinding your tools.

Hollow grinding is not as useful for tools with thick bevels such as mortising chisels, because by the time you have a hollow ground bevel you have a fairly seriously hollowed out bevel.

The new Tormek models come with an upgraded SE-77 jig for sharpening plane and chisel blades. For plane blades it offers the ability to camber the blades in an extremely controlled way. If you donít know the advantage of clambering plane blades watch the video.

So do you need to get a Tormek? As everyone here will tell you, no you donít. Everyone will tell you they are satisfied with their results doing it whatever way they choose to sharpen. If you want absolute control and repeatability of sharpening just about any tool in your workshop or home, and you have the money to spend, then why not.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

The place I run into trouble with using stones is repeatability. Iíve never developed the eye to do it freehand. Iíve used a variety of sharpening guides, but Iíve rarely been able to get the bevel right, or the edge isnít square. Getting the blade in the guide juuust right has been a veritable impossibility for me. Also leaning over the stone to sharpen makes my back ache. Then thereís the matter of needing to soak the stones before use. The Tormek guides look like theyíre really good and it seems like you just walk up to it and go. I didnít realize the Tormek was so slow though. Tormek advertises that you use the single stone then go straight to the strop wheel. If thatís not really the case, thatís bad. Having to change stones would add a level of inconvenience that would be a show stopper.

Anyway - - - I donít use hand tools a lot, so I donít get good at sharpening and when youíre not good at it, itís a hassle that produces bad results. Iíll spend money for good tools, but $700 for a shop ornament is a bit much :)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I've got both a Tormek system and a slow speed grinder with CBN wheels. Like stated above, each has its learning curve. For reshaping, the CBN can remove metal much, much quicker. The Tormek's beauty is in the repeatability once you learn how to use it. And also the fact that it removes so little metal, your tools do last longer. Each has its own niche.
Mike Hawkins
post #8 of 14 Old 02-02-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Do you guys think it could work to use the Wolverine Grind N Hone on a 360 CBN wheel and then finish up with a flat stone and a guide?

https://oneway.ca/products-category/...lete%20Package
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

This is another Tormek question.

I donít quite get how the 220 grIt stone on the Tormek can really hone a fine, polished edge. Anybody know?
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 AM

The Tormek comes with a ďgrading stoneĒ that has two sides, course and fine. By using the course side you have a course initial grind, use the fine side to regrade the grinding wheel to produce a smoother grind. The final honing and polishing is completed on the leather wheel(s). The results are a ďpracticalĒ working edge.

If you want a polished edge you can get an optional stone that will polish an edge for you if you so desire.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get a clone ...

Grizzly makes a Tormek clone:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Gr...rpener/T10097A

Get a 1/4 HP motor for $10.00 more:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-W...tion/T10010ANV

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-04-2018 at 05:34 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
The Tormek comes with a ďgrading stoneĒ that has two sides, course and fine. By using the course side you have a course initial grind, use the fine side to regrade the grinding wheel to produce a smoother grind. The final honing and polishing is completed on the leather wheel(s). The results are a ďpracticalĒ working edge.

If you want a polished edge you can get an optional stone that will polish an edge for you if you so desire.

Not to sound dense, but how does that work? What does the Grading Stone do that makes the 220 stone produce a smoother grind?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Not to sound dense, but how does that work? What does the Grading Stone do that makes the 220 stone produce a smoother grind?

From the Tormek manual, ďWith the Tormek Stone Grader you can reactivate the grindstone easily so fresh grains are exposed on the surface and the stone is always effective.Ē

With any water stone the secret of their cutting efficiently is the continual wearing and exposing of new particles. Every manufacturer of water stones use different binders that hold the sharpening particles together. The rate at which these binders wear exposing new sharpening particles greatly effect the rate at which different water stones sharpen. Not all water stones are created equal.

The grader stone works the same way, by exposing new particles with the course grader, wearing the particles smoother by using the fine grader, and getting a smoother cut.

post #14 of 14 Old 02-04-2018, 10:14 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
The stone that comes with a Tormek is 1000 grit. The two sided grading stone is initially used to flatten the face of the wheel after getting grooves in it from sharpening tools on it. The two different sides do produce two different finishes on the wheel. Both still offer a fine finish compared to tradional grinding wheels. Woodturners Wonders offers CBN wheels for the Tormek. That would eliminate the need for using a grading stone.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode