Call me crazy but... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Call me crazy but...

I would love to be able to mill my own lumber like some of you guys but I am years away from that level of woodworking... But.... I have an over active imagination and while looking at a bandsaw mill I was thinking why canít I do that on a smaller scale? Has anyone here experimented with creating a jig for milling small Straight branches on the band saw?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2008, 03:34 PM

View dirtclod's Photo Album My Photos
Run, don't walk! Get away and stay away from those thoughts. It's expensive. Sawmilling may be fun but it's also a lot of heavy and sometimes dangerous work. I allmost got heat stroke in that 98 degree heat Saturday. The next day, within a few minutes of arriving, I pulled a muscle in my back while repositioning a log for loading then dinged my shin on the mill. But I did get to mill a bunch of 12"x12'x5/4 clear cherry boards and many other assorted sizes.

If I could turn lumber into fine finished furniture I wouldn't be milling. But in His infinite wisdom, God decided to give those skills to others like you.

mdlbldrmatt135's suggestion, or a chainsaw mill, or even a small bandsaw driven by a chainsaw head?

Last edited by dirtclod; 06-09-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
I make a lot of smaller items (toys, pic frames, shelves etc) and I have cut smaller walnut and oak logs on my band saw. It's easier if you can get one side relatively flat before you get to the band saw, then you don't have to use a crude jig to hold the log on the band saw table like I did Good luck, Mike
post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM

View Jim Finn's Photo Album My Photos
Yes I have done it on a band saw. I used wild cherry 3" "logs" . I first flattened one side in my jointer.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Good idea, to use the jointer. I have tons'o trees and lots'o branches. I am definately going to try this. I'm going to have to learn to identify trees now. Damn it, it never ends....
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 AM

View Maintenance 6's Photo Album My Photos
For you milling types. I've always been taught/told that limbs grow under stress and that trying to mill them into usable lumber is not a good idea. But I'm seeing some posts here about using branches. Maybe somebody can tell me something new?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2008, 01:24 PM

View dirtclod's Photo Album My Photos
Limbs can be loaded with tension/compression wood. It's likely to move during milling, drying and use. It can also have more figure. Now do you know which way to go?

I've been both burned/rewarded by milling limbs. But I usually mill 8' and longer. Shorter pieces shouldn't cause as much trouble. Simply cut them oversized to allow for movement during drying and, hopefully, they won't move too much during resaw/use.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 AM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Limbs can definitely be used, but keep that end use in mind. I have cut plenty of them on my bandsaw. I try to use limbs for smaller items like boxes and stuff. Cut them thick to joint out the problems of bow, cup, twist. I have tried jigs and the best rides on the fence of my bandsaw so I can adjust the distance from the blade with the fence. I screw the limb section to the jig so that each cut is parallel to the previous one keeping in mind the screws are in there. Cut a slice, move fence in 1", cut a slice, and repeat. I would show a pic but I currently don't have any built right now since I have moved on to a chainsaw powered bandmill. I might be able to use sketchup to create a model.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
Somewhere on you tube there is a video of a guy showing how to use a jig he made for milling small logs. I tried to find it again but couldn't. I made one. It works OK. If you look on You tube there are a lot of different home made methods.
Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode