cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

View harvest's Photo Album My Photos
cabinets

Question for the cabinet guys. What's your thoughts on screwing cabinets together before installing them on the walls? What size screws do you use? I was told 2 1/2 inch decking screws. Use the same for screwing them to the walls? Any help would be great.

I have a friend who just redid his kitchen and we are going to install the old cabinets in his garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
When installing multiple cabinets with face frames, or frameless (similar methods) here is what I do.

For example if you have three upper cabinets each having their own face frame call the first "A", the second "B", and the third "C". If you've installed the face frame on the cabinets, lay them on their backs and line them up so the face frames are as close to flush as possible. Start with "A" and "B". Clamp the two FF's together. From whichever side you are comfortable drilling and screwing, drill pilot holes and countersink in at least three places (top, middle, bottom) from one FF into the other. Make sure the holes are not drilled where hinges will be installed. Insert screws that will be shorter by 1/4" to 1/2" than the ones you will use when installing. Bump screws in tight. Remove clamps. Do the final scraping or sanding on the two FF's at once so they are flat and even. Then go to the "B" and "C" cabinets and do the same thing, etc.

When installing, after placing them where they are to go and leveling them, screw cabinets to the wall, but not up tight. Using the slightly longer screws, align the FF's, clamp, and insert screws into the same holes and bump tight. Then do the final tightening of the cabinets to the wall. If the wall is not flat, (how many are?) shimming the back of the cabinets may be necessary, so that there is no strain on the FF's. This method helps make final alignment easier.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
2 1/2" is fine for face frame joining. i like to use at least 3" washer head screws for wall mounting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on the width of the faceframes. The screws have to be long enough to go through one FF and into the other enough to hold well, at least an inch. Remove doors and shelves, clamp the FFrames together. I use the Pony FF clamps but any clamps will do. I like trim head screws and often hide them under a hinge but they make a small hole that isn't easily seen and can be filled. Pre-drill and wax the screws. Wall mounting screws should be heavy duty and placed in a nailer, not just through a 1/4" back. Depending on the cabinet construction, you may have to attach to the wall through the lips on the top and bottoms outside the cabinets. Heavy 3" washer head screws are normally used. Always pre-drill and use wax. Hit the studs in the wall.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use decking screws - go to your store and ask or buy trim head screws. These have small heads that minimize the chances of splitting the wood, but you should still drill your pilot holes.

As for mounting the cabinets to the wall, use cabinet screws which have wide washer type heads which pull the cabinets into the wall.

I don't pre assemble the A-B-C cabinets - I install them one at a time. They are less heavy... just my preference. I can still get the nice flush fit

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, these cabinets are already pre-finished and were hung before. So my first step will be to take the doors off and maybe some shelfs out. Will try to post some pics when done with it next week. He also wants to set the bottom cabinets on 2x4's incase it gets water in the garage but the cabinets have a toe kick on them now so thinking of maybe putting the 2x4's on the 1 1/2 inch side with cabinets on top of them instead. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Thanks for the info, these cabinets are already pre-finished and were hung before. So my first step will be to take the doors off and maybe some shelfs out. Will try to post some pics when done with it next week. He also wants to set the bottom cabinets on 2x4's incase it gets water in the garage but the cabinets have a toe kick on them now so thinking of maybe putting the 2x4's on the 1 1/2 inch side with cabinets on top of them instead. Any thoughts?
If you set the 1" edge to the floor, you'll have a height of 3". If your TK sits on that, they may be too high. Or, lay the wide side on the floor, and leave them able to be removed if you do get some flooding.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever use Salice undermount soft close draw slides? Never used them trying to mount them right.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM

View CNYWOODS's Photo Album My Photos
Salicevis a good alternative to Blum. More options at less cost.+1 to what cabinet man said as far as mounting them, the only thing I do first is lay out the hinges so I can hide the connecting screws underneath.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNYWOODS For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (09-06-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode