Cabinet wood recomendations - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

View Donald Leonard's Photo Album My Photos
Question Cabinet wood recomendations

I'm planning on custom building cabinets to remodel my kitchen soon and need recommendations for which wood to use. I only have an idea and a couple of sketches so far. I know I want the new cabinets to match my current dining table, which has a very dark stain (I've attached a picture). Is there a certain wood and process that would give me this look?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You can't really tell from the picture what kind of wood it is. It appears to be a smooth grain wood. The color it is there are several different kind of wood you could use. If you want the wood hard to where it would resist dents then you could use hard maple or birch. If that isn't an issue you could use soft maple, poplar, sugar pine or clear alder. Cherry could also be used but that would be an unnecessary expense.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Go for the gusto,walnut, I don't think there is a prettier wood,cherry is a close second, but I am not a big staining fan, I like the natural grain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 08:06 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Based on the color of the table I recommend Birch.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Natural or stain? Cherry will darken over time. My son has natural hickory in his kitchen- clear finish with no stain of any kind.
I'm thinking the table might be either maple or birch. Both have a fine grain.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I want to stain to match the wood of the table. Here is a better picture of the wood on the leg of the chair. After doing some google researching on the table. They say it is birch with a Cardovan Dark Cherry stain. Does that mean the two stains were mixed? Thank you all for your responses by the way!
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 10:57 AM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Leonard View Post
They say it is birch with a Cardovan Dark Cherry stain. Does that mean the two stains were mixed? Thank you all for your responses by the way!
Not necessarily, and even if they were good luck finding the exact matches for them. If you ever go to a big cabinet shop or furniture manufacturer, their staining and finishing process is an assembly line. Pieces get hung and trolley across the factory. One guy sprays, 20 guys with rags wipe back, piece goes through a dryer, another guy sprays, 20 wipe back, etc.

Staining to get that perfect color is way more involved than wipe on, wipe off. Rare is the case that you'll find anything off the shelf that'll be a one-step process to match your chairs. And birch will require a pretreatment of some sort to prevent blotching. Remember that something as simple as using 180 grit on one side and 220 on the other can drastically change the color.

Get a piece of birch then go buy various dark and light stains. Divide the board into sections and start applying different stains, keeping track of what's going on where.

For further finishing analysis, get on YouTube and watch Charles Neil. He's the master at wood finishing.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the information and the suggestion. My wife and I will be going to get a piece of birch and some stains/conditioners this weekend.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 02:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Even if the wood is birch I would recommend using maple. Birch and maple are one of the two hardest woods to tell apart so nobody would know the difference. Birch is a gnarly wood that is terrible to work with. It's prone to twist and warp and when you machine it the grain runs in multiple directions so it is prone to blow outs. Maple is just a lot more stable and easier to work with.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm not dead set on using birch, more wanting a dark rich color than looking for matching the exact wood grain.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Leonard View Post
Thank you very much for the information and the suggestion. My wife and I will be going to get a piece of birch and some stains/conditioners this weekend.
Based on table shown, look at these stain colors:
Dark Walnut
Old English
Jacobean

Sometimes we have to mix a couple of stains when necessary but itís always best to find the close match right out of the can.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #12 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 07:37 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Even if the wood is birch I would recommend using maple. Birch and maple are one of the two hardest woods to tell apart so nobody would know the difference. Birch is a gnarly wood that is terrible to work with. It's prone to twist and warp and when you machine it the grain runs in multiple directions so it is prone to blow outs. Maple is just a lot more stable and easier to work with.
Maple as Steve said. Easy to work with and will look great stained.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
You may want to look at poplar also, as it's used extensively in furniture and cabinet construction and is cost effective, here's a link for a better explanation od use.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/stain-p...nut-36093.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode