Cabinet Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

View Pete Kuzda's Photo Album My Photos
Question Cabinet Question

Morning good people,

I need some doors and drawer fronts made from maple wood. I want them uninished as I am staining. The prices I have seen vary W-I-D-E-L-Y on these and being its my first re-facing job (DIY) I thought it best to reach out to those with much more experience than myself.

Any suggestions on who to use for a great price?

Measurements if it matters.

Drawer Fronts

2 11 x 5
1 11 x 5.5
2 11 x 7
1 16 x 5
1 36 x 5
========================

Doors:

1 11x 21.5
2 16x 21.75
2 17x21.5
4 27 x 13
2 39x13
2 39x19
2 21x16
==============================

Thanks all for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 12:00 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Can't advise its going to be dependent on your location. Check with 2 or 3 shops.

Maple has a tendency to blotch so it is notoriously difficult to stain. That said, there are ways to address it such as blotch controllers/sealers. Even thought there are ways around it, you might consider another species of wood. Ash and white oak are a couple possibilities.

Most maple cabs are soft maple and they are painted for exactly the reason I stated. I suggest you do some research on staining maple before you proceed. Whoever is building them can help you with this.

Which brings up another point, whoever builds the doors will be able to do a professional finish. Something to consider.

Hope this helps.

Robert
post #3 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 12:57 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Are we re-facing our own cabinets or someone elses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2020, 06:20 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
In my opinion, you need to be WAAAY more specific regarding your requirements. Doors and drawer fronts vary considerably in design and cost to manufacture. A door could be as simple as a flat rectangle with rounded edges, or a panel design. Hardware (pulls and knobs) also varies considerably in quality and price.

Imagine if someone asked, "I need a car body. I want to paint it myself. The prices I have seen vary W-I-D-E-L-Y on car bodies, ... Any suggestions on who to use for a great price?"

I recommend that you invest time and effort with local cabinet makers to learn more, figure out what you need, and try to understand what makes some sources cost more than others. The people here live all over the world, and you are asking for something that is probably best obtained from your local area.

It isn't easy, because some cabinet refacing companies have slick marketing hype with elaborate demonstrations, free meals, fancy showrooms, and high pressure sales tactics where they phone you all the time to invite you to special, "exclusive" events that aren't very exclusive. The cost of all the sales and marketing must be factored into their pricing. One thing you must learn is how to separate slick hype pricing from quality product pricing. Once you know what you really need, want, and can afford, it should be easier.

Shopping for doors and drawer faces takes real work. There are no shortcuts.

That's my 2 cents. Others here may offer more helpful thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode