Cabinet end panel or just paint the side? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

View jaminv's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet end panel or just paint the side?

I'm building a cabinet with one side that will be exposed. Our current cabinets are laminated MDF, and the side is just exposed with no end panel or anything like that. I didn't even notice the 1/4" overhang between the face frame and the carcass until I started really looking closely at the anatomy of a cabinet. So my plan was just to do it like that. The new cabinet will be stained plywood, so I figured I'd just stain that side and call it a day. Then I started reading about people using end panels.

I'm wondering, is there an advantage? I am going for a higher-end look that our current "apartment" cabinets, but I'm not sure if this is a detail I really care about. I know some people do designs and whatnot, but at the most I'd want something shaker style. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not really sure how it works around the face frames and toe cut-out. Anyone have any ideas, inspirations, or suggestions? Or should I just go with my original plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

So here's one thing I came up with: using some 1/4" stock (to match the face frame overhang) and making 2" rails and stiles for the side. I can rout out the same round-over I use for my doors. I could just glue these to the side. It looks... alright? Kinda hard to visualize, even in sketchup.

https://imgur.com/mT7kygE

Couple problems, though. I can't see a way to rout out the cove cut I have on the outside of the cabinet doors, and I can't figure out anything to do with the toe area.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the cabinets are laminated you might consider covering the end panel with laminate. You might have to buy some router bits but is pretty simple to do and would match the cabinets exactly. Just take a door or something to your local lumber company and they should have samples of laminate you can sort through and find the matching laminate. Chances are it's made by Wilsonart or Formica. If you are trying to cover a 1/4" reveal on the existing cabinets you could use 1/4" plywood which is closer to 7/32" since it's metric and use a vertical surface laminate which is 1/32" thick so you would end up with 1/4" in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If the cabinets are laminated you might consider covering the end panel with laminate. You might have to buy some router bits but is pretty simple to do and would match the cabinets exactly. Just take a door or something to your local lumber company and they should have samples of laminate you can sort through and find the matching laminate. Chances are it's made by Wilsonart or Formica. If you are trying to cover a 1/4" reveal on the existing cabinets you could use 1/4" plywood which is closer to 7/32" since it's metric and use a vertical surface laminate which is 1/32" thick so you would end up with 1/4" in the end.
Sorry, brand new cabinet that I'm building. I was just saying what we currently had (laminate), which I realize now was probably confusing. I'm replacing that cabinet with a plywood cabinet that I am building. Was wondering if I should use an end panel or just stain the side of the cabinet.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
A decorative end panel would give you the “higher end look” you said you want.
Painted end is fast and easy.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I ended up going with what I drew up. 1/4 poplar is dirt cheap (I'm staining it black), so I just bought some to test it out. It ended up looking real good.

It's a simple design, but sometimes little details can make a big impact. The 1/4 inch dropoff at the bottom didnt end up mattering. It's at the same spot as the dropoff for the toe slot, and the end panel draws your eye up anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_150922_1530305923025.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	363238  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_150915_1530305944264.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	363240  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode