cabinet builds - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
cabinet builds

My new shop is almost finished. I need to do the epoxy on the floor, then I can start building cabinets for the rear wall. The wall is between 9 and 10 feet long. I will need to take exact measurements. I would like lower base cabinets across the bottom with a sturdy countertop to also act as a work bench. I have been googling, but also would appreciate any links or info you can provide in building base cabinets. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
To the point - you are requesting info in a vacuum. I had to look at your profile to learn about some of the tools you own and since my time is valuable to me - I didn't read all of your previous posts.

Most cabinets are built with the use of furniture grade quality plywood. The reason is wood movement! Plywood is stable compared too solid wood which will always move across its' width and not along its' length. A face frame is common and mt joinery is an excellent choice for the face frame. I would use adjustable shelving because your initial shop set up will look a lot different 10 years from now.

As for the workbench surface - try to use a solid core door. And do cover it with a cheap replaceable surface.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Big,generally googlfooing cabinets is going to steer you twds kitchen ideas.While this isn't the end of the world.....a kitchen isn't a shop.

But,here's an idea that will use kitchen cabmets as,or for,an illustration.Go sit at your kitchen table and look at your DW(dish washer).Have you ever pulled a DW?Now,screw the DW....imagine it being a roll-around workstation,nested under your worktop.

The difference is....on the DW you have one side to "load" it and that same side to empty.On our roll-around we have access to all four sides.Further,with a stowed top(or some scraps) of its own.....once pulled out you can build it up to the level of the main units counter height,N'est Pas?

Shall we go on?......tall slender items,nice old school DP,BS,etc....can interface with your counter way more effectively than say a mitre bx station.One uses vertical space and the other WASTES horizontal space.Just sayin,be dang careful what you "spread" out on the counter top.Think old guvment,file cabmets....tall slender vs flat space wasting,as in a desk top.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Cabinets

Big Arm
If I were to outfit my shop with 9-10' of cabinets against the wall, I would build them in units 3-4' in width. I would frame all the base cabinets to exactly the same height out of 2X4's because I want them strong and
2 X 4's are pretty cheap.
I would put rollers on the base cabinets so I can pull them from the wall or take them with you if you move. Make plenty of drawers.
Face the cabinet fronts, top and sides with MDF or Plywood.
This way, you can roll one cabinet out into the center of your shop to act as a workbench and roll it back in place when you're done.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Bigarm,
I am almost finished with a similar project (base cabs for my shop). I went with a simple, cheap design involving mostly plywood, construction grade pine and S4S hardwood for trim and stiles. Bigger drawers are all floating on shop made glides and the smaller ones are on commercial ball bearing glides.

I don't have pictures of them, but if you check out my introduction post, you can see my prototype. If you want more information / pictures, I can get them next week some time.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas so far. Here is some more information about my shop and tools. The shop is 9+ (but less than 10) feet wide and about 30 feet long. I have these tools that I have been using: table saw, miter saw, router table, drill press, pocket hole jig, cordless circular saw, hammer drill and jig saw. I have these tools that I have picked up, used or new, but have not used yet: band saw, planer, joiner, dovetail jig.
This set of cabinets and counter will be along the back wall and no tools will be mounted to it. The tools are all going to be movable. This counter will be just a work space. I am also planning on building an assembly table with a Rockler t track table top and maybe a little extra space on it for an outfeed table.
I am going to try to prep the floor for the epoxy coating today.
I was thinking of making the cabinet carcasses and counter top and then making the doors for the cabinets later. I don't know if that is a workable solution, but it would get me started and let me figure out how to do doors. I think I can make the carcasses but need to figure out how to make doors.
Let me know what you think.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

A few more details about myself and my situation. I am 62 years old and so probably won't be changing the shop in 10 years. As far as moving, we lived in the Portland area for 31 years and moved to Montana to retire 8 years ago. As it went, I went back to work for 7 years and will probably substitute teach next school year part time. While I would not mind moving south to warmer winters, my wife will most likely never agree to that. Also, I don't know that I could ever replace the place I live. We live on 20 acres with a wonderful view of Flathead Lake in a small log home. I have a 30' x 40' man cave/reloading and casting area and now a 9' x 30' wood shop. Really like those things.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Sounds like a really nice setup. What all are you trying to store in these cabinets? Are you looking for shelves, drawers or a combination of both? You mention doors. IMO, drawer storage is more efficient than deep shelf storage for most items.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 02:16 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
A few more details about myself and my situation. I am 62 years old and so probably won't be changing the shop in 10 years. As far as moving, we lived in the Portland area for 31 years and moved to Montana to retire 8 years ago. As it went, I went back to work for 7 years and will probably substitute teach next school year part time. While I would not mind moving south to warmer winters, my wife will most likely never agree to that. Also, I don't know that I could ever replace the place I live. We live on 20 acres with a wonderful view of Flathead Lake in a small log home. I have a 30' x 40' man cave/reloading and casting area and now a 9' x 30' wood shop. Really like those things.
SoundS pretty close to paradise.
The average Californian who moves into Montana stays only 4 years. They can't take the harsh winters.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt if your walls and floor are square and level they might be close, but I doubt it.

If you build the cabinets on your work table and set them in place, make the overall length a half to one inch shy of the total width. You can always add a filler piece if needed to make it purty.

PS: If you want to see how to build kitchen cabinets, check out Kris Reynolds on you tube. I follow his basic work flow to build most of my projects including our 10 foot buffet, our complete kitchen, our sis in laws rent house kitchen, and other projects.

His videos are easy to watch, no BS and good demonstrations of his technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uOkMK4UqM

PSS: OH, Drawers in the lower cabinets. You are too old to be digging behind doors for those lost tools. I know, I am 66 and counting!

Measure twice, cut once, then remeasure...

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Mike

Here's the buffet (and a happy camper to boot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTH_2895.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	172162  

Name:	MTH_2906.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	172170  

Name:	MTH_2909.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	172186  

Attached Images

post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Here are the lower cabs I built on a 10 1/2' wall in my small shop. I still need to build some uppers and organize it bettrt but it serves triple duty as a workbench, desk, and storage area.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to d_slat For This Useful Post:
NickDIY (07-10-2015)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a few pics of wall cabinets I built for my small garage/shop. They have worked out great. Everything I need at easy reach.

Hung on French cleats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130613_210846.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	172298  

Name:	20130613_230524-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	172306  

Name:	20130622_214420.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	172314  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (07-10-2015), Toolman50 (07-10-2015)
post #13 of 13 Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_slat View Post
Here are the lower cabs I built on a 10 1/2' wall in my small shop. I still need to build some uppers and organize it bettrt but it serves triple duty as a workbench, desk, and storage area.
That's a cool idea with the built in desk area like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode