CA adhesive - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

View goodwood's Photo Album My Photos
CA adhesive

I bought some CA thin glue intending to use it to stop hairline cracks in carving. While I use it for that, I have tried on more than one occasion to use it to glue a small chip or splinter of wood back into place. It never takes hold. I have tried putting the glue on only one surface and then both surfaces, but it never takes hold.

What gives? Is it—being thin—soaking into the wood too quickly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwood View Post
I bought some CA thin glue intending to use it to stop hairline cracks in carving. While I use it for that, I have tried on more than one occasion to use it to glue a small chip or splinter of wood back into place. It never takes hold. I have tried putting the glue on only one surface and then both surfaces, but it never takes hold.

What gives? Is it—being thin—soaking into the wood too quickly?
I am interested in any other replies. I think if the glue is absorbed into the pores the joint will be starved and be weak.

I normally use the medium CA glue and so have not had the "experience".
post #3 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 AM

View cuerodoc's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm, have had that same problem. If my memory of organic chemistry serves, CA glue is moisture activated--whether from the atmosphere (slow) or with accelerator which I believe is mostly pure water.
Dave H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
CA glue is just too thin. Any wood glue would have been better. To get it into a crack you can put it on the surface and work it into the crack with your thumb. If you stay at it the glue will come out the back side. Then clamp if possible. Now that you have the ca glue in it sealing the wood I would keep applying it until it holds. I wish I had a source but ca glue is available in a thicker form which might work better if you have a bigger gap. Just don't use your thumb to work it in.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 12-24-2012 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
That is why they make different thickness of CA glue.

I always use thick or the gel.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM

View cabomhn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
That is why they make different thickness of CA glue.

I always use thick or the gel.
The thick is the way to go when joining wood together, I've never had any problems with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cabomhn For This Useful Post:
goodwood (12-24-2012)
post #7 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 AM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
how about gluing to plastic? I was trying to glue a couple of strips of wood into a plastic base that would not hold. after drying over night, I was able to pry it loose with my fingers.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito5 View Post
how about gluing to plastic? I was trying to glue a couple of strips of wood into a plastic base that would not hold. after drying over night, I was able to pry it loose with my fingers.
Ca glues won't adhere to plastic. If it did you couldn't get the plastic cap off. There are epoxys formulated for plastic. If you need a thinner adhesive you could use 3M Fastbond 30-NF. It helps if you roughen the plastic before you glue anything to it.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
In my experience with the thin CA, the parts need to be pressed together before applying glue. The glue will wick into the wood fibers very quickly, so I f you apply glue before assembling the pieces, you're too late. Once the glue hardens on the surface it is nearly impossible to try to glue the joint again because once the glue cures on the surface, a subsequent application won't be absorbed into the wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Masterjer For This Useful Post:
goodwood (12-24-2012)
post #10 of 10 Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Sawdust Maker

View Midwest Millworks's Photo Album My Photos
CA glue will indeed stick to plastic. My glue bottle tips get plugged with glue all the time. I use removable tips on my CA bottles and clean them by soaking them in acetone. I don't put a cap on the bottle. The glue will be used up long before it will dry up. I have been doing this for over 25 years and it works great.

I also glue plastic to plastic, and plastic to wood quite often. The plastic needs to be prepped properly for the CA to adhere properly.

To answer the OP question, thin CA will not work in the application you are trying to use it in. You need to use medium or thick CA in your application.

Mike Darr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode