Byrd cuuterheads - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

View beaner5463's Photo Album My Photos
Byrd cuuterheads

Wanting to get some more info on these cutter heads. Have been looking at updating Powermatic 54A 6in jointer and am wanting to gather the good and bad on these heads.

If they are good as they say might be updating Delta 22-790X5 15in planer with them as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
The things are awesome. In a perfect world, you can get a slightly better cut from straight knives but in the real world you're much better off with the shelix cutter. They also last way longer before needing changed. So far it's been our experience that one shelix side is equivalent to 4-5 straight knife sharpenings. They're also Made in USA by a family owned business. I'd highly recommend them.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #3 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I have one in my jointer and planer, and I wouldn't go back to straight knives under any circumstances. The cut you get on figured woods is one reason, but not having to worry about aligning knives and the hugely reduced noise level make them worth the cost (IMHO). Before I changed the planer, it was the only tool where I had to wear my shooting ear muffs to run it. With the DC one it was deafening, with the Byrd head I can get by with the ear plugs I use on everything else. I do get some lines on my wood ( a common complaint), but it's one or two pass with the ROS to remove them. The only thing I would suggest is that consider doing the planer first, you may find you don't want one on your jointer.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I never could quite get the hang of aligning jointer knives and the a helix solves that big time. I want to do my planer too, but the installation is a lot harder and the price of the head is a lot more.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 PM

View calwilliams63's Photo Album My Photos
I upgraded to a Byrd cutterhead in my Jet 6" jointer about 6 months before I decided to buy a Grizzly 12" jointer with a Spiral cutterhead and wish that I would have did it 5 years ago.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

View beaner5463's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
I never could quite get the hang of aligning jointer knives and the a helix solves that big time. I want to do my planer too, but the installation is a lot harder and the price of the head is a lot more.
Grizzly so far has the cheapest prices for the shelix cutterheads and another site I was looking at was wanting another $100 for the jointer head and about $150 more for the planer. Like I said it seems like we use the jointer a little bit more than than the planer, so jointer would get the upgrade first and if we liked it we would do the planer.

Does anyone know of other places that sells these cutter heads other than Grizzly and Holbren? So far Grizzly has them beat by the prices I mentioned above.

Thanks again so far to everyone that has offered there opinion thus far. Hope to read more of them.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM

View goXtreme's Photo Album My Photos
Subscribed... Really wanting to do this for the 20" Grizzly planer

Sent from my iPhone
post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Byrd sells them direct...but expect to pay list price. I bought both mine from Grizzly. Seems like there is another tool importer selling them as well, and the name escapes me at the moment.......

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode