Buying pre-built cabinet doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

View nibeck's Photo Album My Photos
Buying pre-built cabinet doors

I'm in the middle of a kitchen reno. I was originally going to custom build new doors and drawer fronts.

After some serious thought, I think I'm going to go with build-to-order doors. Lots of reasons including my own ability, schedule and the wrath of the wife if they don't turn out good :-)

Can anyone recommend a good on-line site to order the doors from. I'm looking for paint-grade shaker style. Pretty simple. Medium to large sized kitchen. Will need about 50 separate pieces.

_mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
When you order doors be sure to look them over really good. Any company I ever bought doors from sent a lot of rejects that I would have to send back. A lot of times the wood would be split or there would be a blowout in the sticking or just comming apart. Be sure they made them all the correct size too.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a cabinet shop nearby?
It could be a great project for them and for you.
Plus.... if you need extra pieces here and there you can go to the source.

Learning more about tools everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet Resources

Porta Door

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I've used local shops that specialize in just doors and drawer fronts. It's usually a case when I'm just too busy to make them myself. Using a local company makes it easy to fix problems if they occur, and no shipping charges.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (03-13-2013)
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

View nibeck's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for a local shop.

Anyone have a recommendation in the Baltimore MD area?

_mike
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
pre-made doors

Farming out your cabinet doors is very common, that's why there are business that do only doors and drawers. I use to make my own but haven't for over twenty years. A door company will usually have all their styles on display with different edges and different types of raised panels....you just order what you want. They can make a door in about three minutes! When the normal shop sets up to make doors they have to set up for each step of the process. A door company will have more than one shaper set up so they by-pass all the down time and set up time. They don't actually make the raised panel any faster, it's just that after they make the panel they don't have to shut the machine down and install a new bit, run samples to make sure the next step is set up correctly, stop and install a new bit again to cope the ends, etc. They just go to a different machine for each step. Most cabinet shops can't put out that kind of money for numerous shapers. I would not get them online, as others have stated. Stay with someone local so you can save shipping and resolve any problems in person. My door company takes one week for lead time, whether I order three or three hundred doors...I have never had to send one back. Check around with local builders and find out who they use for their cabinets in new houses and talk to those companies. Building doors is not difficult and most companies who do it will do a fine job. Some of the companies will havean economy or a premium style door; the only difference is the quality of the wood used, not the door construction.

Good Luck,

Bandman
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I can make a door in about 10 minutes. From rough stock to a door. As long as I don't have to glue up the panel. If I do I have to wait for that to dry. 3 Shapers, cope, stick and panel. Badda Bing, Badda Boom

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM

View 4thStreet's Photo Album My Photos

Last edited by 4thStreet; 04-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would suggest that before ordering doors and drawer fronts, do the measurements off the assembled cabinetry. If the job is an existing set of cabinets, or a tear out with all new cabinets marking the doors and drawer fronts placement will minimize the possibility of making errors.

Those of you that use a cad program, and do a take off from the program...good luck. I listen all the time to how perfect and accurate CAD's are, and how much of a timesaver it is.

In the end, and after all the smoke clears, making physical marks on how the doors lay on the cabinet is about as accurate as you can get. I wait until the finishing is due, because that is my lead time to get the doors. I use masking tape on the leading edge of the cabinets, and put marks for each door, and showing the gaps. I measure each of the marked openings and those are my doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode