buying first table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

View rangerheave's Photo Album My Photos
buying first table saw

Hello all, Im pretty new to the forum and new to woodworking in general. I will be buying my first table saw soon and need some help to shape the decision of my purchase.

First off, I dont think that my saw will move around a great deal and will likely stay fixed to one spot within my garage. I dont do alot of prjoect work but will soon be attempting to make a desk for my 9 yr old son's bedroom.

I have looked on Amazon and there seem to be some good deals with the factory reconditined items. My budget is about $300-350. Can you help me with some make and models to look for or avoid?

Before you reply, I fully understand that you get what you pay for when it comes to purchases such as these. I simply cant afford anything much more than that.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

View rangerheave's Photo Album My Photos
Im giving serious consideration to this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89913-46069-...=#BVRRWidgetID
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM

View Marco7's Photo Album My Photos
The best portable table saw I have used is the Bosch. I built a house full of cabinets with it. A little more than your budget but it's a good saw. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09-10-Inch-Worksite-Gravity-Rise/dp/B000S5S5CW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Search CL in your area. You can pick up an awesome saw for under 300. Might have to wait till ou find one..For a little more than 350 you can get a brand new Ridgid from HD with a Harbor Frieght coupon
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM

View Matt tennessen's Photo Album My Photos
I'd strongly recommend the tablesaw posting that heads the power tools section of the forum, it will help you determine the best type of saw for your situation and needs. If you don't need the portability of a jobsite saw then I'd recommend against getting one. The size/construction is a great benefit to its portability but at the expense of what makes for a better saw. Craigslist often gets the best bang for your buck. Good luck and search the forum, this is a pretty common query.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM

View chefdg's Photo Album My Photos
I will also say to watch Craigslist. I have a delta contractor saw with a belt drive motor. I don't know the model number but I did get the one I have as an upgrade to a saw with a direct drive motor. I got the first one as a gift and the second as part of a multi tool purchase.

Anyways I tell you what I have to say that as I have watched Craigslist I realized that this saw that I am using and is treating me very well would have cost way less than I would have assumed. You should be able to find a great saw under $300. Use it well and sell it later to help find a better one if you want.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Don't buy a portable if cost is the motivating factor. $350 should buy a darn nice used full size stationary saw.

Some reading to help guide you.

Last edited by knotscott; 01-21-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode