Buying first bandsaw/comparison - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DesertRatTom

post #1 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

View PMaceJr's Photo Album My Photos
Buying first bandsaw/comparison

Hi all. I am a DIY'er with a growing garage shop and am looking at my first bandsaw. I found a great, hardly used, 4 year old Jet 14" Deluxe Pro with fence, 3 blades, and mobile base for $800. Woodcraft currently has the 14" Rikon 10-326 Deluxe with the mobility kit on sale for $1,099. Assuming there are no unforseen issues with the Jet, is the Rikon worth the extra$300?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 02:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
They are quite different ....

The Rikon is a welded frame unit, and the Jet is a cast iron frame model. It has a very good 13.5" cutting capacity height. There are some who think the welded frame models are stiffer, and more rigid. In this comparison, it won't really matter. The Jet has a 12" resaw capacity, also very good. Both have great features, and if the budget is tight the Jet would be fine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-04-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 02:45 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
If I were looking for a used 14" bandsaw, I'd probably go for a Delta 14". The Delta is what the Jet is a copy of. Although I'd prefer the Delta, the Jet is probably fine, but seems a bit overpriced at $800 for a used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM

View Buckmark13's Photo Album My Photos
Its hard to answer your question without knowing what you plan to use it for.

Do you have specific requirements that you're trying to meet? Or do you just want a solid, general purpose bandsaw?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 12:28 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know where @PMaceJr lives. Around here, $800 for that used bandsaw seems very high.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The Jet is a resaw bandsaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I don't know where he lives. Around here, $800 for that used bandsaw seems very high.

It has a 12" resaw capacity, unlike ordinary 14" saws. So, a heavier frame, and 1.25 HP larger motor:

https://www.amazon.com/JET-JWBS-14DX.../dp/B001KQAMN8

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-05-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Laguna fourteen/12 and love it. It was on sale at Rockler for $1099. What got me was going to their showroom and seeing how heavy duty the bearings were. Beefy, smooth, heavy duty wheels. Bought the rolling base kit too.

I sold off my Delta, which I'd upgraded with Carter guides. Sold it for $325 with a number of blades. Could NOT find the 6 inch riser for it anywhere, which would facilitate resawing. But have also heard that the riser (Powermatic, Grizzly, etc) isn't as rigid as the welded frame.

Given the choice, I'd same up a little more for the Rikon, which seems to get pretty good reviews. he Rikon will take up to a 1 inch resaw blade, but it's been reported that the optimum for resawing is the 3/4 inch blade. The Jet's price seems quite high, especially if it doesn't have add ons like the Carter Guides. Personally, I'd skip that style of saw.

But before you buy anything, check out the Laguna saw. It is physically a smaller saw, but it also will resaw up to 13 inches, and their Resaw King blade is a masterpiece. It is like a German car vs a nice Japanese car. Not a lot of window dressing, but solid as a rock. And if it goes on sale, or you can find a price match, it's close to the same price as the Rikon, then I predict you'll love yours too. I do have a small Rikon band saw that is really good and that I use all the time. It is the same as the small WEN saw, but a blue case instead of orange. If it's a measure of Rikon quality, then you can expect a lot.

If you get the Laguna, be sure to watch their 14 part assembly and setup videos on YouTube. Follow it and you can assemble the whole thing single handed. I did it exactly as shown, single handed, and I'm an old guy. You'll love your band saw, get the best, and the best blades you can find (Laguna's brand for me).

That's my take anyhow.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM

View ghori-usman's Photo Album My Photos
When youíre shopping for band saws, youíre about to make a big investment for your future. These machines arenít cheap, and every one want to make sure that he got the best possible investment for his money. Manufacturers arenít shy when it comes to selling their products, and it means that they often tell you the upside and leave the downside out altogether.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 AM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
$800 seems a little steep for the used jet. I'm always hesitant to buy used machines anyway, because you don't get the warranty, and you never know how the last guy treated it. I'd go with the rikon if it's in your budget, or look into Laguna like the other folks suggested.

I cheaped out and bought a grizzly with a riser kit, and I love the saw when it's running well, but as much as I use the saw I kind of regret not getting a nicer model. It doesn't really resaw 12" of anything - just too underpowered, won't tension a blade enough to handle it. So the riser kit was kind of not worth it. I've resawn 8" a time or too with limited success, but that probably didn't justify the extra $100 or so I spent on the rider kit. Plus I lost an inch of rip capacity with the riser block.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 AM

View DesertRatTom's Photo Album My Photos
Forgot to mention that the Laguna fourten/12 has a 1.75 hp motor at 110v. But you can also buy a couple of parts and convert it to 220. The motor is also American made. Would love to hear what you finally get.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode