Buy right hinge for cabinet with 4 different hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-13-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

View personalt's Photo Album My Photos
Buy right hinge for cabinet with 4 different hinges

I am re-finishing and repairing some kitchen cabinets. All is well except for these doors which are for a ~60 inch opening on the island side of the kitchen. When I bought this house this cabinet had 4 differnt hinges with no real markings on them that I could use to determine model number. The cabinet holds a washer and dryer(see the bottom left in second picture. The doors are two sets of double doors with a butt hinges joining the doors. The doors hit so I am looking to increase the overlay slightly.

I have never seen hinges that 'curve around' like this. Is that something I need to consider when buying new hinges. These euro hinges are fairly adjustable but was thinking if I needed a bit more I could recess the hinges a bit in to the framing and if needed cut back the face trim a bit. But want to start off by ordering the best possible hinge.

Any advice on where to start in picking a proper hinge to clean this up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190504_163254.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	375291  

Name:	1007A LB BLVD 57 (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	375293  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Probably the reason you have 4 different hinges is because people have changed them out over the years. With European hinges most are interchangeable. The screw holes may not match exactly but the main thing you need to know is how much the door overlaps the opening. Lets say the door is 1" wider than the opening all you would need is 1/2 overlay hinges, meaning the door overlaps the opening 1/2" Usually if the door is 1 1/2" larger than the open it's called full overlay. What you have shown is a hinge with a box type backplate. It would be safer to purchase a different brand with a faceplate backplate. The hinges are in two separate pieces sometimes sold separately.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

View personalt's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks.. they dont seem to name the plates the same but I assume the but plates are the higher ones.. Ie would this be good?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b173l6100_l.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	375295  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2019, 05:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That back plate should be alright. I was just worried you might purchase a hinge that mounted further back in the cabinet like this one. A lot of cabinets the sides of the cabinet are just 3/4" plywood with veneer on the face of it instead of a faceframe like you have. The type hinge I have pictured is for that type cabinet. This is why some suppliers sell the hinges and back plates separately.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode