Woodworking Talk banner

Butcherblock question and thanks!

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jafo 
#1 ·
I wouldn't even classify myself as a beginner woodworker, rather as someone who mostly worked with wood when it was necessary but has recently found it fun. :) I have been perusing this site and find it VERY useful, so thank you!

My question is this:

We bought a house a couple years ago and I have been slowly fixing it the way I want and in the kitchen I extended a counter using some home made butcher block that I put together in the garage. Here is a pic of it before I oiled it:

Furniture Table Countertop Wood Wood stain

My thought at the time was to use this as a test case. Ideally I want to change all the counter tops (laminate) to this. I really love the way it brightens up our light starved kitchen! I made the butcher block out of poplar (edge grain). I have been trying to get an idea if it is ok to stick with it? I have read alternating opinions elsewhere on the net. I have a feeling if I use Maple it will end up much darker. Mahogany would also be very dark (and much more expensive). I was thinking maybe oak, but have read that it isn't recommended for butcher block due to the porousness of the wood.

Would love to get other opinions!

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would probably not use them for cutting. My only concern is really the light factor. When we first moved in, there was a dark carpet, black tile, black counter tops, etc.. The room gets very little light even with a skylight. I replaced the floor and that worked wonders, I really want the counters to be light in color.

#4 ·
As has already been said, Maple is a standard for butcher block slabs and it tends to stay light in color. I have butcher block slabs of Red Oak in my kitchen which also tend to stay light. They have been performing well for many years now. IMO either of these would be a preferable choice to Poplar which, while considered a bona fide hardwood, is on the soft side, very close in density to hard pine. In any case, good looking job with the section you have shown us.

Ed

#5 ·
I've never seen "butcher block" poplar. I have to say the picture is beautiful. The "wood pro's" would say it's too soft for a counter.

I think it comes down to the finish. I don't think you're using it as an actual cutting block, but you did mention oil. Oil provides little protection on a soft wood (beauty be damned)... I see many blemishes and work in your future with this....

There are a lot of clear hard finishes out there, now. They offer a lot more protection for minimal cost.
Just one example of many good products:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6295&filter=clear finish

I would still highly question poplar as a counter? But, you never know...

Dave

#6 ·
I am going to look into Maple this week. If I can find some that is similar in tone then I have no problem with it. My only real reason to want to use poplar was how bright the wood is, and how it has held up. As for the oil, I don't want any finish to ever end up in food should I cut on the counter top. So far I have accidentally spilled wine, tomato sauce, au jus, ketchup you name it on that counter and none of it has stained the wood yet. I oil it about once a month.

#7 ·
Jafo,

For what it's worth, I have a maple and walnut butcher block I made about 5 years ago. The maple still looks almost identical to the poplar in your picture. In fact, I thought you had made a maple and walnut top at first glance because it looks so similar to mine. Check out the pictures in my profile and you'll see a couple images of my "block". If you look at the pictures, though, the table looks a bit yellow... that's just the crappy lighting in my kitchen. It's as "white" today as it was when I first built it. The drawer front is actually poplar and walnut, so you can compare the two and see what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.