Building Office Desk: How to Attach Legs Securely? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View scotttyb's Photo Album My Photos
Building Office Desk: How to Attach Legs Securely?

I am somewhat new to woodworking, but stumbled across this forum and was hoping you could help. If nothing else, to tell me that this project is over my head :)

I want to build a Desk for my Home Office, and I want it to look very close to the one in the picture, I particularly like the way the legs look. My main concern is stability, as the top parts of the legs are exposed, which would seem to make it harder to make them secure. Specifically securing the part in the center, where the legs attach to the underside of the table. Or maybe whoever did this, put some brackets under the table and attached it to the wall!
Btw, this table will have about 4 laptops, 3 monitors, some routers, and a couple of phones on it, so a bit of weight, but not over the top.
Can you give me any tips/methods securing these types of legs. Maybe someone has done something like this and you have some pictures I can see?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Small Member

View JBSmall's Photo Album My Photos
I wonder if they are even wood.
Some designs just should not be made of wood. That looks like a good candidate.
I'm sure it could be done, but your gut apprehension just might be right.
It would be a vulnerable design, not because of load, but because of side-force kicks and bumps.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
Quite honestly, that looks like some designers wet dream - really pretty, but not very practical.

If I were doing it, I would use a M&T apron/leg assembly with the apron on the sides and back. I would attach the top with figure eightd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM

View woodbutcher360's Photo Album My Photos
Will your table be in the middle of a room, against a wall?
If against a wall I would have an apron on the back and fasten it to the wall for security.
If in the middle of the room I would discard this idea for a table unless you are going to modify it into a library table.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I think the replies are trying to advise that this looks pretty, but if the legs are to be made of wood, the design is not practical.

This design would not handle lateral forces well, and it is just a matter of time until someone bumps into the table from the side.

A table with wooden legs frequently has "stretchers" which connect the leg assemblies and brace the legs for lateral forces.

I could imagine connecting these legs to the top via brass threaded inserts in the top and bolts into the inserts.

I could not imagine the legs withstanding lateral forces without some type of stretcher.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Probably welded steel

And since we can't see underneath there is probably a stretcher and some flanges or through bolts/screws into the top.....just guessin'. It's a handsome contemporary design in my opinion.
A lot of office furniture is welded for durability. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Small Member

I have no problem with the attachment to the top....it's those hip-joints that are weak.

Refer to the Saarinen designs
https://www.google.com/search?q=saar...GeL00gHx6oHwCA
They are great, but they had to wait for aluminum-technology to catch-up to make them practical.
If you had a good welder make the leg-assemblies for you out of square metal tubing, then you'd have something.

Last edited by JBSmall; 07-30-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: wasn't quite right
The Following User Says Thank You to JBSmall For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (07-30-2012)
post #8 of 11 Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

View scotttyb's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the great replies/suggestions!! The desk will be against the wall, accept that the height of the top of the desk will be about 5 inches above the window sill on that wall (building a "standing" desk), so I'll try attaching some support from that wall below, then go up to the underside of the table at a 45.

Question, what is a "Stretcher"? I've looked a bit on the web and can't seem to find a good description, or better yet a picture of one?

Anyway, thanks again for a great first time experience on this forum!!

Last edited by scotttyb; 07-30-2012 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 AM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
If the picture made it, the boards near the bottom of the legs are stretchers.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Small Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttyb View Post
Thanks for all the great replies/suggestions!! The desk will be against the wall, accept that the height of the top of the desk will be about 5 inches above the window sill on that wall (building a "standing" desk), so I'll try attaching some support from that wall below, then go up to the underside of the table at a 45.

Question, what is a "Stretcher"? I've looked a bit on the web and can't seem to find a good description, or better yet a picture of one?

Anyway, thanks again for a great first time experience on this forum!!
Get a copy of Wallace Nutting's FURNITURE TREASURY...you will learn a lot about furniture, and design. There are "stretcher-tables" there!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttyb View Post

I just did a quick search for "table stretcher" and get a long list.

This page has a good picture.

http://www.tablelegs.com/Woodworking...BaseTable.aspx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode