building with laminated parts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 03-27-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

View micheal's Photo Album My Photos
building with laminated parts

hi, new to the neighborhood: rummaged about the forums but could not fine anything thats speaks directly to my problem, and that is: im considering building pedal powered woodworking machines. sort of copies in wood of 18th and 19th cent. tools. to immate the old cast forms and for strength i believe laminated members would be best. i think i can manage the laminations ok but have no idea of how to join the pieces. are laminanated parts assembled with the same joints as those made of solid materials? and is a book to be reccommended on the subject? thanks micheal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have any experience with the equipment you are seeking info on. What I can offer is nearly 40 years ago I worked for a company that made sailboat parts for Chrysler Sailboat. We made a rudder handle that was laminated strips of honduras mahogany and ash which was put in a form and glued to a curve shape. After shaping and sanding the end that fit into the mechanics was just square where it was slipped in and two bolt ran through it. It was the same as if it were a solid piece of wood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode