Building A Jig For This Fence: how would you? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

View j_v_z's Photo Album My Photos
Building A Jig For This Fence: how would you?

hey all. ive attached a pic of the fence I want to build. I want to make a jig for the picket's, but need some ideas on how i might do this. ive never made a jig of any sort before. Also, would like to build a layout forum on a sheet of 48 plywood. I have a bandsaw, and chop saw. thanks in advance for any info/ helpful reading you can point me toward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood_shadowbox_fence_1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	74333  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would just cut the pickets long and fasten them on to the fence. Then use a pattern made from a piece of 1/4" plywood to mark a line and cut them with either a sabre saw or circular saw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
bigcouger (06-30-2013)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I would just cut the pickets long and fasten them on to the fence. Then use a pattern made from a piece of 1/4" plywood to mark a line and cut them with either a sabre saw or circular saw.

+1 an please do an Intro an Welcome Aboard

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Agree to the above. I do not know what kind of jig you would make or what you would use it for.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 09:48 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
With a curve like that, the easiest way I think is to cut the curve out on a sheet of plywood and use that as the template like Steve said.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have a similar fence

board opposite board with a softer curve.
I cut mine using a circ saw, 5 3/8" blade Dewalt battery powered.
I used the 3 nail flexible strip method to establish the curve. 2 nails go at the opposite ends of the fence where you want the curve to begin. A long flexible strip of wood is placed under both the nails. The 3rd nail in the center, is pushed up until the desired arc is achieved. Then you take the vertical measurement at the center from the horizontal and all the rest of your arcs will be the same..... more or less. Draw the arc on the pickets, remove the strip and nails and make your cut. The smaller blade will make a large radius arc very easily.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-30-2013 at 10:15 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 PM

View calwilliams63's Photo Album My Photos
I've helped a friend of mine several times that owns a Fencing Company and the way that he always does it is similar to what some others have already said except he uses a piece of 1/2" PVC to draw the arches once they are marked out. Works well!!! Also, have someone follow you on the opposite side of the fence with a wheelbarrow to catch the cut-offs. That'll save you some clean up time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode