Building a jewelry box / small chest from scratch - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View efr100's Photo Album My Photos
Building a jewelry box / small chest from scratch

I do not have too much wood work experience however I do take on a lot of projects involving constructing things. I was curious to get some advice or tips on making something along the lines of the image below. I think the lid will be the most challenging to shape with its angled beveled edges..I do not have a table saw either so I will have to use hand saws, sand paper....the basics. The most I have is a dremel with some bits.

Looking for ways to approach it, what type of wood you think I would be best with, the size will be about 3.75"x6"x3.75". Also I plan to make it weathered and appear worn out and aged. The lid like I said will likely be the biggest challenge getting the shape correct. I initially planned to use small nails and wood glue for assembly given my limited amount of access to tools.

Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-06-2015, 09:24 AM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by efr100
I do not have too much wood work experience however I do take on a lot of projects involving constructing things. I was curious to get some advice or tips on making something along the lines of the image below. I think the lid will be the most challenging to shape with its angled beveled edges..I do not have a table saw either so I will have to use hand saws, sand paper....the basics. The most I have is a dremel with some bits.

Looking for ways to approach it, what type of wood you think I would be best with, the size will be about 3.75"x6"x3.75". Also I plan to make it weathered and appear worn out and aged. The lid like I said will likely be the biggest challenge getting the shape correct. I initially planned to use small nails and wood glue for assembly given my limited amount of access to tools.

Thanks
Welcome to the wood working forum.
You should be able to accomplish the top
Using a basic hand plane, then wouldn't hurt
To go at it with a hand sanding block, easily
Available at any DIY center.

[/I]Clearing the room[/I]
post #3 of 4 Old 06-06-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

View efr100's Photo Album My Photos
thanks,

as far as putting the walls together, would it be wise to use both nails and wood glue? or just one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 AM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by efr100
thanks,

as far as putting the walls together, would it be wise to use both nails and wood glue? or just one over the other?
Which ever you prefer. Could use glue, then small brad nails.

[/I]Clearing the room[/I]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode