Building and Installing Wainscot - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
Building and Installing Wainscot

The house was over a hundred years old and was situated in a very up-scale neighborhood. Any investment in a good quality, home improvement was a wise one.

Their dining room & foyer, staircase & hallway… were the first places that were seen when you entered their home. We were asked to build wainscot to adorn all of these walls.
They wanted a more formal, frame & raised panel wainscot, not simply bead board with a cap, as seen in many 'turn of the century' country homes.

We created a sample of the wainscot 34" high but only 4" wide … based on their approval of the final profile drawing (showing the cap & base sections).

When we create wainscot of frame and FLAT panel area, we can choose final panel widths on location as these panels are formed simply by deciding where the stiles are placed. Since these panels were to be raised, they had to be made, ahead of time, in the shop… so we carefully measured all the walls to determined each of the final panel's sizes.
We had three radiator covers to make. Each had to ' fit ' within the wainscot very well … (both in terms of size & style). We first created the covers faces in the shop and sealed them well, backside & front.

I usually do a drawing of the frame & panel placement right on the walls. This not only verifies the sizes of the panels to be made back in the shop …but it also helps the client to envision what this 'wall covering' will look like. This becomes even more critical for those diamond-shaped panels climbing the staircase. Although not as flat as we would have liked, the existing walls were of lathe and plaster and solid as a rock. So we used construction adhesive and shot into the studs. We had made the panels a 1/4" less high & wide where there edges ran beneath the surrounding frame (stiles & rails) so we had more room to compensate for error. Here are 2 shots of the staircase being installed.

Our installation time was somewhat limited so we began installing panels and customizing the radiator's covers for a tight fit as the walls were less than truly flat & our painter began placing a final coat on those sections already completed. Here are two walls in the dining room freshly done.

The only way to see the whole job is to show this hand held, short video I managed to grab when I returned two weeks later to do another project for them. This good work payed off, it seems. Here is the link… / hope you enjoy how it came out...

http://youtu.be/imOwgRz07P4

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
That looks outstanding. Great job.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayking49 For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (11-17-2014)
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
ya know... I spent an hour last night trying to strip an ugly bent metal vent cover... I think I might steal your "radiator" idea there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

View Russell Hudson's Photo Album My Photos
be my guest, sir

http://www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com/
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"~Plato
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
That's great!
I've got one coming up soon enough, and I'll check back on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (11-17-2014)
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Done plenty of wainscoting so I feel your pain lol. We usually reuse the metal radiator covers in our remodels but thats pretty slick what you did there.

Looks like it turned out nice. I would almost say this is more of a thread that belongs in 'project showcase' than in here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chamfer For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (11-21-2014)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Russell Hudson (11-21-2014)

Tags
frame & panel wainscot, how to create wainscot, how to install wainscot, installing wall paneling, making paneled wainscot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode