Building a desk, could use some advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

View jjmiller1980's Photo Album My Photos
Building a desk, could use some advice

Hi, I could use some advice on a project I'm planning. I've never really done a woodworking project before, but I'm considering building my own desk. Partly to make it just how I like, and partly as a fun project to do in my down time.

I originally thought about using MDF, as it's cheap, strong, and is pretty common for desk building. However, I've decided that I'd like something with a grain that I can stain and make look nice. I'm on a budget, so I was considering using plywood. I was thinking after I sand it down smooth and put a stain on it, it could still look nice, even though it's a less expensive wood type. I'm wondering if that's a good idea or not? And, if so, what kind of plywood?

Also looking for any other tips for someone that's new to woodworking, or any "gotcha's" that you've run into when building a desk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
You could use cabinet grade oak plywood with solid oak trim.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 6 Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you are looking for cheap you might use sandeply plywood and trim it with pine. If you could post a picture or a sketch of what you have in mind we might be able to give you more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 AM

View Tom Clark's Photo Album My Photos
I built two desks in 1992 using oak plywood with solid oak trim. They are well used but holding up nicely. They are stronger than if mdf were used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	76471  

post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller1980 View Post
I originally thought about using MDF, as it's cheap, strong, and is pretty common for desk building. However, I've decided that I'd like something with a grain that I can stain and make look nice. I'm on a budget, so I was considering using plywood. I was thinking after I sand it down smooth and put a stain on it, it could still look nice, even though it's a less expensive wood type. I'm wondering if that's a good idea or not? And, if so, what kind of plywood?

Also looking for any other tips for someone that's new to woodworking, or any "gotcha's" that you've run into when building a desk.
Whatever plywood you decide to purchase will have a very thin veneer of the relevant wood species. You need to be very careful in sanding. I would only sand by hand. Power sanding can easily take off the face veneer.

As for "gotha's" just about any details of how to attach the trim mentioned in other replies, how to join the pieces, how to avoid tearout when cutting the plywood across the grain, how to get the stain to apply even colour between plywood and the solid wood trim, how to apply the final finish, e.g., polyurethane.

You do not mention the tools you have available, which could add to the list of "gotcha's".
post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 AM

View woodworking-videos's Photo Album My Photos
If you're new to woodworking, you may not have all the tools.

For beginners, I like to recommend something like this:
http://ana-white.com/2012/10/plans/s...l-trestle-desk

Once you have the woodworking bug then you'll be using hardwood and mortise/tenon joints.

I hope that helps.

------
http://woodworking-videos.com/
Videos to fill your wooden soul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode