Building a coffee table with glass inserts, need some advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

View bikerider138's Photo Album My Photos
Building a coffee table with glass inserts, need some advice

Hello all, I am building a coffee table out of dimensional lumber with two glass inserts for the top. Below you will see a sketch of the top of the coffee table with the glass inserts labeled. The edges I want to router are crudely outlined in green. The top will be made of 2x4s. The two glass inserts are 11"x21" The overall dimensions of the coffee table top are: 49" wide, and 27 1/2" deep. I want to router the edges of the 2x4s that are directly in contact with the glass inserts. As I understand it, I need to make a 1/4" lip with the router so that the glass inserts will rest on them. My plan is to router the edges of the 2x4s before assembly. Will this work ok? Thanks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Either way you are going to have to do a little chisel work to square up the corners of the rabbit, because the router bit won't cut clear to the corner because it is a round cutter
post #3 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Either way you are going to have to do a little chisel work to square up the corners of the rabbit, because the router bit won't cut clear to the corner because it is a round cutter

I will be routering those boards before assembly, so they will be individual cut straight 2x4s. Will I still need to do some finish work with the chisel? I thought the router would make a clean cut on a straight board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider138 View Post
I will be routering those boards before assembly, so they will be individual cut straight 2x4s. Will I still need to do some finish work with the chisel? I thought the router would make a clean cut on a straight board?

It will but you will have to chisel out the radius of the cutter, if you just route the whole board you would then have two grooves past the glass in the corners
post #5 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could make a half lap joint and eliminate the need to chisel the corners out but if it were me I would just chisel it out'
post #6 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
It will but you will have to chisel out the radius of the cutter, if you just route the whole board you would then have two grooves past the glass in the corners
I overlooked that on those boards. My mistake.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I think chiseling out the corners will work fine for me. Is there a specific size/type you guys recommend? I have never chiseled anything.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 06:55 PM

Chiseling out the corner may be a problem then. It's not that difficult but you need a chisel that is nearly razor sharp though. You might be better off using a utility knife. If you are going to use a chisel a 1/2" chisel would work fine.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Chiseling out the corner may be a problem then. It's not that difficult but you need a chisel that is nearly razor sharp though. You might be better off using a utility knife. If you are going to use a chisel a 1/2" chisel would work fine.
What do you think about an oscillating multi tool with a wood bit? You would need a steady hand but wouldn't that be a decent alternative like the utility knife?
post #10 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Ii have used a "multi-tool" a lot and would not try to do that myself. The problem is that you just cannot hold that tool sufficiently steady. It is not designed as a precision tool.

Do not be concerned about cleaning out those corners with a chisel. Practice on a scrap first and it will not take you long to be an expert. It is not as difficult as it sounds to you.

George
Cowboy18 likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider138 View Post
What do you think about an oscillating multi tool with a wood bit? You would need a steady hand but wouldn't that be a decent alternative like the utility knife?
Were only discussing cutting out the rounded corner. It's very little wood to remove. A multi tool would be useful for a much larger project. I think you would tear up the frame with a multi tool.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Chisel is you're best bet, it's precise and controlled. Less likely to make a very obvious mistake. Make sure you buy a rubber mallet with you're chisel. Don't be trying to use a hammer.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson
post #13 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

That gives me some confidence about chiseling. I appreciate all of your input. I'm glad I posted up, I glossed over a couple important details.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 12:29 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
from experience here . . . get the glass pieces cut to size/ground/finished before you make the table.

my 'luck' with getting glass people to cut/finish to a stated dimension is not good.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 PM

They also make a tool that is spring loaded that you put in the corner and hit it with a hammer and it cuts the corners square

You ought to buy one so you can give us a tool review on it LOL

It sounds good but it might not be so good, but it might work great too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode