Building a Cat Condo - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Packard

post #1 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

View CLS89's Photo Album My Photos
Building a Cat Condo

Hello,

I plan on building a cat condo/tree for my cat. I've attached a photo of a design I would like to follow.

For the two middle platforms I plan on cutting dado's into the 2x4 legs and than gluing friction fitting the plywood platforms into the dado grooves.

The top plywood platform I will drive screws from the top of the plywood into the 2x4s.

I want to join the bottom platform with the 2x4s by cutting a rabbet into the bottom half of the 2x4 and than fitting it over the plywood. I will than drive a screw from the bottom of the platform into the 2x4. Please see poorly drawn diagram.

I am a beginner, and I'm thinking this should be simple and easy enough, I would just like some feed back on my approach.

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by CLS89; 10-15-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 07:39 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
use glue - it'll work just fine and be plenty strong.

I would use a nail vs. a screw to hold it while the glue dries - often when you run a screw through carpet the pile catches on the screw threads, pulls yarn out of the rug pile, and can gum up the screw going cleanly into the wood.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I like the cat shelves. You can offer the cat more space and it does not use up any actual living space. Looks cool too.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.therefinedfeline.com/imag..._MA_wLOTUS.jpg

https://www.kittyloaf.com/wp-content...g-768x1024.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+...ih=639#imgrc=_

https://www.kittyloaf.com/wp-content...3001966876.png

Last edited by Packard; 10-16-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: additional link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM

View BTCjas's Photo Album My Photos
I just built this. Still going to add to it. But have it in the house for now. Just used some scrap 2x4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

How did you join the shelf with the 2x4? Looks like you just cut a dado into the 2x4 and slid the shelf and used wood glue? no screws? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCjas View Post
I just built this. Still going to add to it. But have it in the house for now. Just used some scrap 2x4s

post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS89 View Post
How did you join the shelf with the 2x4? Looks like you just cut a dado into the 2x4 and slid the shelf and used wood glue? no screws? Thanks

Pocket screws the holes are covered with the sisel rope

post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 AM

Wet sisal rope will shrink when it dries. If I were wrapping a post with sisal I would wrap it wet and let it shrink tight as it dries.

I never tried it, but you might be able to get it to shrink by wetting after application. A hair drier will speed things up.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Maybe Iíll try spraying it with water

post #9 of 12 Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCjas View Post
Maybe Iíll try spraying it with water

Let us know how it works. I know that when I was a picture framer we used to apply the dust cover (kraft paper at the back of the frame) and then spray it with water and allow it to dry. It would dry tight as a drum.
mjadams61 and BTCjas like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I've been busy, but finally got around to starting this project. Please see progress photo. The person i'm making this for would like the tree to be taller. I would like to add an additional ~2 feet to the overall height of the tree. Whats the best way to do this? I'm thinking I could cut a dado into the bottom of the legs and than a rabbet into the extended piece that I want to join to increase the height. Would this be stable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181110_135651.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	369341  

Attached Images

post #11 of 12 Old 12-16-2018, 06:45 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
that would work - as would a 'sister' leg - which would be easier. simply lengthen the legs by glue/screwing 'extensions' onto the outside of the existing leg with 6-9 inches of overlap.
the top of the extension could be a site for another 'cat shelf'...

as it, looks to be about 3 ft tall, at +2 = 5 ft you may want to consider stability issues.

when a cat leaps off the top, to the side - if that's where they want to go... - the top of the ladder gets pushed the opposite direction. a cat has no issue landing from that height, but it's possible the ladder / structure may wind up being knocked over.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Just a tip on rope wrapping: Sisal and other natural fiber ropes will shrink if allowed to get wet and then to dry.

So soak the rope before wrapping and then either use a hair dryer to dry it or just allow it to dry. It will make a much tighter wrap.

PET plastic (the stuff soda bottles are made from) will shrink like shrink tubing for electrical. So if you cut the top and bottom of a soda off, you will have a heat shrinkable tube. If there is an area of the structure you don't want the cat to scratch, then put that tube on the structure and shrink it to fit.

A pet door leading to an outdoor enclosure (I used a storm door as a entrance) will allow a safe outdoors area for your cat structure. I put the kitty litter out there. Less smell and less clay kicked around in the house.

Indoors cats live substantially longer than ones allowed to roam. My cats, when I had them, were always indoors cats. It is hard to enjoy the company of a pet if they are gone most of the day.

Cats who are kept indoors can reach the ripe old age of 17 or more years, whereas outdoor cats live an average of just two to five years. Another reason for indoor cats' longevity is that it's easier for their owners to identify health problems early, before they become life threatening.

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features...-outdoor-cat#1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode