Building cabinets, with one side of plywood, other side open to wall. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-08-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

View garek007's Photo Album My Photos
Building cabinets, with one side of plywood, other side open to wall.

Hi,

I have a long skinny living room and I want to build wall to wall cabinets on one end. You would only see the fronts on the cabinet structure, not the sides. For the base units, I am considering leaving one side open to the wall. This would mean I'd build one side and a top, then buy the door which comes with a face frame and build 3 out of the 5 sides. The rear and the wall side I would not build out with wood. I would simply attach strips of wood to the wall, and attach the front face frame and the top to those strips. I hope this makes sense. I have attached some images if it doesn't.

Is this a bad idea? I can have the cabinets made for me for maybe a little extra cost, but if I do it this way, I'll gain another two inches inside which in my small space, is a lot. Also, if I order from the cabinet maker, the lead time is like two months, and I want to get started right away. What do you think?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What you want to do can be made to work structurally.

However, I think the visual appearance would not be good. It would never look finished.

George
post #3 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Wood Butcher

View Grinder's Photo Album My Photos
Am I missing something, it's just a built-in cabinet, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What will be the function of the cabinet? What you have planned will work however without the end panel it wouldn't work very good for shelving. If you are cramped for space and the cabinet is to stay there forever you might remove the sheetrock in the area where the cabinet is going and replace it with a sheet of 1/2" plywood. A sheet like that could be line bored for adjustable shelves. Anyway the stile next to the wall if you are using overlay doors be sure to allow enough to hinge the door. Also consider a door that close to the wall, there will likely be damage to the wall from the door pull hitting it.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM

View Popsnsons's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would add the side panel to complete the project. I would also swap sides on the lower cabinet door hinges so that they are towards the outside edge vs being in the middle.

Pops ~ In So Cal...
post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

George why don't you think it would look good? With a pre-built cabinet I would have to add a bit of trim to make it go all the way to the wall anyways, so how is this really different? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. The thing is I would rather get the cabinet premade but the lead time is so long I can't get started for at least 2 months
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Grindr yes just a built in cabinets like the 3d model
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure how I would do the shelves or the wall cabinet I was thinking to vertical boards up and down like in the model but I guess the shelves could go all the way to the outer walls
post #9 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I should also have mentioned that on the right side just like the left side there is a wall I just don't have it in the model so that you can see what is happening but essentially these cabinets would go entirely from one wall to the other I would buy a 21 inch wide door and I would add 3 inches of trim or whatever on the right to set that door off from the wall a little bit and then the counter would go all the way to the wall
post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I'm confused by the pictures. It appears in your sketchup model, that it's abutting the wall on the left. On the location image, it's indicating that it is not. Additionally, you're showing crown molding on 3 sides on the top, which doesn't make sense if it's abutting either or both side walls.

If you're filling the space from wall to wall, this is a very common built in cabinet design.

Like Steve Neul said, if you're installing any shelves, you'll need some sort of supports. This can be as simple as scrap wood screwed through the drywall into the studs or pocket screwed to the stiles front to back. Side panels allow for dadoes or shelf pin holes. Another option all together is to install shelf standards to the drywall, studs, or stiles and use shelf clips.

If you don't want shelves, you don't need to do anything on the sides except a bit of trim like you'd said.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 02:42 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I am also confused by looking at your drawing. Why have a door on the right side, if the end of the cabinet would be open?

I guess I don't know what your skill level is for building cabinets, but if it were me, I would build the cabinets to fit the opening. Period.

Here are a couple of pics of an end cabinet I built for our kitchen at the request of the chef (my cabinet installer, and sweetie). I made sure I left room for the crown molding by sizing the adjacent cabinet to provide room for the small end cabinet. She loves it. We keep all of our meds in the cabinet, yet it looks like a finished end panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-20 13.00.38.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	206737  

Name:	2014-08-20 13.00.49.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	206745  

Name:	2014-08-20 16.05.13.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	206753  

Name:	2014-08-23 20.59.07.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	206761  

Name:	MTH_8965.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	206769  

post #12 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 02:50 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at your drawing, the doors seem to be hinged on the wrong side. I think you wouldn't like that at all. Much better to have them open away from you when you are standing at the bar.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 04:30 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
How much does this save, like not even 1 sheet of $30 paint grade plywood? I would just build the full cabinet.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 04:43 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
George why don't you think it would look good? With a pre-built cabinet I would have to add a bit of trim to make it go all the way to the wall anyways, so how is this really different? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. The thing is I would rather get the cabinet premade but the lead time is so long I can't get started for at least 2 months
"However, I think the visual appearance would not be good. It would never look finished."

George
post #15 of 15 Old 01-09-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Okay sorry for all the confusion I think I am going to go with a pre built cabinets. It will be a long wait but they are high quality and worth it. Sorry I know the SketchUp model doesn't make much sense I didn't consider that before posting it but I think I have the answer now at least. I can post back here when finished in 3 months just so you can see what I meant
The Following User Says Thank You to garek007 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (01-09-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode