Building a bed for my son...where to find dimensional hardwood boards??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 41
View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Building a bed for my son...where to find dimensional hardwood boards???

So it's almost time for my son to move up from a crib to a bigger bed. So I thought I'd build him a bed. I'm really liking this bed, but I don't want to use pine like the plans specify. The thing is, I don't have a table saw or planer to rip or plane larger boards down to the specified sizes.

Is it feasible to try to find dimensional hardwood boards in the sizes specified in the plans?? I'm not looking for any exotic wood, just something more kid-resistant than pine.

Any suggestions on where to find hardwood boards in the sizes I need, or even a different type of wood that is already dimensional? How would cedar hold up?

These are the boards I would need:
2 – 2x8 @ 8 feet
2 – 1x4 @ 8 feet
4 – 1x3 @ 8 feet
2 – 2x4 @ 8 feet
2 – 1x2 @ 8 feet
Bryank930 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Twistedcowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sacramento California
Posts: 41
View Twistedcowboy's Photo Album My Photos
If there is a Lowe's near you, they carry poplar. It's a hardwood. There are major color variations in it. Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Twistedcowboy is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,258
View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar is not a hardwood either. But it's stronger than pine, and about 3x the price.

I would spring the extra for the cedar. It will be in much better shape than the construction lumber.

If you want to buy hardwoods, the local home store will carry a large variety in the 1x size. You'd have to glue two boards together to get the 2x size. However this will get expensive as a 1*8*8 poplar board is about $25. Poplar is one of the cheapest hardwoods.

I'll assume that you know that dimensional lumber is actually smaller than the listed size.
sanchez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: northern illinois
Posts: 844
View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I know we have a hardwood cutter/ supplier as a member--who operates in your area--

Let us see if one of us can find the name.

Google
'sawmills Wisconsin'
mikeswoods is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 11,807
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would make it of oak.

Oak is very expensive at Lowes or Home Depot, but look on Craigs List. Or at any lumberyard in your area.

George
GeorgeC is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 319
View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
This one is a sawmill who kiln dries and provides milling services.

http://www.kmhardwoods.com/millshopservices.cfm

This one provides fewer details but could be solved with a phone call.

http://www.milwaukeewoodworks.com/

Both serve the Milwaukee area
RogerInColorado is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 41
View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to use cedar. I like the look, and it's in my budget.

One more question though. The plans call for 3/4" plywood that the face will be partially visible on the headboard and footboard. What type of ply would look good with cedar? Since cedar ply is super expensive and a special order everywhere I've found it so far.

I'll be staining it dark. I think it's called English chestnut from minwax.

Thanks!
Bryank930 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 09:26 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,876
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to use cedar. I like the look, and it's in my budget.

One more question though. The plans call for 3/4" plywood that the face will be partially visible on the headboard and footboard. What type of ply would look good with cedar? Since cedar ply is super expensive and a special order everywhere I've found it so far.

I'll be staining it dark. I think it's called English chestnut from minwax.

Thanks!
Cedar is one of the most porous woods I know of. ... except for the knots which are like iron. It will not take a transparent type stain very evenly in my experience. My entire house has Cedar siding, a few thousand lineal feet, and it's "stained" with a solid color SW stain. It still looks like wood, but more like painted than stained.

If I were you I would use Poplar, a really nice wood to work with and will take stains well. Then for the headboard, any straight grained or even knotty wood will work. I have use ARUCO ply for many projects very successfully. It is reasonably priced and even grained for staining. It's actually a clear Pine if I recall, imported from where ever they grow clear Pine these days?

http://www.araucoply.com/informacion...in=0&idioma=44

Lowes has ARUCO ply:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_170770-49114-LBR-170770_0__
JMO.:smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-25-2016 at 09:33 AM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,258
View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerInColorado View Post
This one is a sawmill who kiln dries and provides milling services.

http://www.kmhardwoods.com/millshopservices.cfm

This one provides fewer details but could be solved with a phone call.

http://www.milwaukeewoodworks.com/

Both serve the Milwaukee area
I have shopped at Kettle Moraine Hardwoods many times. It's a great place.

They will rip and plane the wood, but it is still not ready to use. You'll still need to cut to length, rip the second side, and finish plane the boards.

It sounds like the OP needs ready to use boards
sanchez is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 41
View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
I have shopped at Kettle Moraine Hardwoods many times. It's a great place.

They will rip and plane the wood, but it is still not ready to use. You'll still need to cut to length, rip the second side, and finish plane the boards.

It sounds like the OP needs ready to use boards
Yeah, I need something I can use right away. I don't (yet) have the tools to plane or safely rip boards.

I'm still thinking cedar. I have a shelf and a couple lantern things I made from cedar that I stained with the same stain I'll be using on the bed and I think it looks good. Not blotchy or uneven like pine.

I'm leaning toward Oak for the ply, but I'm not sure how that would look in contrast with the cedar trim on that part of the bed. Birch is another option too, but again, i'm not sure how that would look.

It's also entirely possible that I'm overthinking this and should just get it done haha.
Bryank930 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 2,887
View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
So it's almost time for my son to move up from a crib to a bigger bed. So I thought I'd build him a bed. I'm really liking this bed, but I don't want to use pine like the plans specify. The thing is, I don't have a table saw or planer to rip or plane larger boards down to the specified sizes.

Is it feasible to try to find dimensional hardwood boards in the sizes specified in the plans?? I'm not looking for any exotic wood, just something more kid-resistant than pine.

Any suggestions on where to find hardwood boards in the sizes I need, or even a different type of wood that is already dimensional? How would cedar hold up?

These are the boards I would need:
2 – 2x8 @ 8 feet
2 – 1x4 @ 8 feet
4 – 1x3 @ 8 feet
2 – 2x4 @ 8 feet
2 – 1x2 @ 8 feet
realize that the sizes are measurements before being final dimensioned to their nominal size of 3/4" thickness and 1 1/2" thicknesses respectively. the widths follow the same - 7 1/4", 3 1/2", etc. UNLESS the plan calls for those exact dimensions, but most expect the nominal sizes.
TimPa is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 41
View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
realize that the sizes are measurements before being final dimensioned to their nominal size of 3/4" thickness and 1 1/2" thicknesses respectively. the widths follow the same - 7 1/4", 3 1/2", etc. UNLESS the plan calls for those exact dimensions, but most expect the nominal sizes.

I totally get that dimensional lumber is a nominal size. The plans call for dimensional lumber in those sizes purchased from a home store.

I'm just trying to get away from using construction lumber if at all possible with my limited tools.
Bryank930 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 02:36 PM
novice wood hacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 513
View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
I tend to build a lot of stuff out of red oak. I buy dimensional boards and plywood at menards if I don't want to plane down rough stock. 2x red oak will be expensive but I would buy 2 1x boards and laminate them together.
d_slat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to d_slat For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (03-25-2016)
post #14 of 14 Old 03-25-2016, 02:48 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,876
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Back when ....

Before I owned a thickness planer I built many a book shelf out of Home Depots Red Oak 1" X 12" boards. ... actually 3/4" X 11 1/2". :smile3: If I need boards that width I would probably get them there now as well, since the mill is a good ways away. Just sort through them for straight grained boards.

I don't recommend Cedar for any indoor furniture since it's a very soft wood and will splinter readily, especially where there is a lot of hand contact like a bed frame and you may get some really bad splinters. JMO

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Bryank930 (03-25-2016)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome