4Likes
  • 1 Post By radian23
  • 1 Post By Larry Schweitzer
  • 1 Post By Tony B
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View radian23's Photo Album My Photos
Bugs On Plywood

Bought some 3/4 oak plywood from Home Depot and after working on building a fish tank stand I noticed some little bugs on my work. My wife noticed a bunch on the sheet that I got from them.

I returned the remainder of the sheet back to home depot. Any idea what these are? I was going to bring the fish tank stand outside and use compressed air to spray it off the best I could. Problem is I don't know if I'll get them all off and don't want to bring a destructive pest into the house.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Your camera should have an ultra close up setting that would give larger images of the bugs. Difficult to see in your pic.
johnep
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 PM

View Bluenote38's Photo Album My Photos
A super close up would def help but... If they "jump" they are Springtails if not then either Wood Mites or Hypoaspis Mites (different kind of mite that eats wood mites). They show up usually because the wood is damp. Put it in the sun for a couple hours and let it air out and most will go away. You can spray it with a commercial product or ammonia or bleach (DO NOT MIX CHEMICALS). In plywood you will need to pay attention to the edges especially and any voids, splits or cracks. If you have access to a -40C commercial freezer for about 8 hours that will work too.

Btw - mix the Bleach 1T to 1 pint of water and Ammonia 3T to one pint of water

Bill - Rochester MI
Artesian, Engineer, and Citizen Scientist

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine."President Abraham Lincoln - 1876

Last edited by Bluenote38; 10-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluenote38 For This Useful Post:
radian23 (10-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I got my slr out and was able to get the following. I don't have a macro lense so this is about as good as I can get.
Attached Images

JohnTC likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM

View Bluenote38's Photo Album My Photos
Wood mites are usually more round. This looks like a Psocid more commonly known as a "Book Louse". They don't live in books, don't bite and live off mold. Book lice enjoy damp places especially where mold is present. Usually 1-2mm long they cannot retain moisture so drying thoroughly will get rid of them. I'd still hit the wood with a bleach solution to kill any mold spores.

Bill - Rochester MI
Artesian, Engineer, and Citizen Scientist

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine."President Abraham Lincoln - 1876
post #6 of 13 Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote38 View Post
Wood mites are usually more round. This looks like a Psocid more commonly known as a "Book Louse". They don't live in books, don't bite and live off mold. Book lice enjoy damp places especially where mold is present. Usually 1-2mm long they cannot retain moisture so drying thoroughly will get rid of them. I'd still hit the wood with a bleach solution to kill any mold spores.
I'm pretty sure this is the bug that I have. Looks like low humidity and low temperature kills them. I'll bring my lumber outside during a below zero day. That should take care of the issue. Glad to see they are not destructive.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Very well done with the pic!
johnep
post #8 of 13 Old 09-16-2019, 06:40 AM

View Gavin HArris's Photo Album My Photos
The plywoods which make our buildings attractive from the outside are getting affected by termites. This is mostly because of the quality of the ply and the climate. But you have an option for it to exterminate the termites and the will do it with little damage and again will make it as an attractive one. Just call the termite controllers nearby you and they will look after the rest. As we are serving in AZ reach us for termite control phoenix az services.

Last edited by difalkner; 09-16-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed link
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 AM

View JamesTinKS's Photo Album My Photos
To clarify:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote38 View Post
Btw - mix the Bleach 1T to 1 pint of water and Ammonia 3T to one pint of water
OR not "and"

Use either bleach OR ammonia. Mixing the 2 and you just might die. Or wish you had...

JamesTinKS
I am a professional amateur woodworker.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 03:28 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Forget the termite control salesman. They aren't termites! Bleach will do them in.
Lumber isn't stored in controlled environments, some times open sheds. Not good but done.
faith michel likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
if you mix most dish detergents like DAWN and bleach, at best you will cause lung damage. At worse, it can kill you. It don't take much to knock you unconscious in a closed environment. You are creating something similar to a chlorine gas, but worse. I have seen it first hand and that is why I know it dont take much of a mix in a bucket to ruin your whole day.
JamesTinKS likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #12 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 05:50 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by radian23 View Post
I got my slr out and was able to get the following. I don't have a macro lense so this is about as good as I can get.
I show your pictures my friend... He is a zoologist at the university of the aegean ..
His answer...

I guess they are ANOBIUM...
Certainly they are not termite...

You have to take professional help than a company sir..

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE
post #13 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin HArris View Post
The plywoods which make our buildings attractive from the outside are getting affected by termites. This is mostly because of the quality of the ply and the climate. But you have an option for it to exterminate the termites and the will do it with little damage and again will make it as an attractive one. Just call the termite controllers nearby you and they will look after the rest. As we are serving in AZ reach us for termite control phoenix az services.

Weird post.

George
JamesTinKS likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode