Bugs! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By WeebyWoodWorker
  • 1 Post By Jassper

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
JOATMON

View Jassper's Photo Album My Photos
Bugs!

I have some burls on my property that I want to cut up and bring into my shop - but there is evidence of insects. Is there something I can do to make sure they vacate before I bring the wood inside? Or should I get a pressure washer and force them out? LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2017, 09:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassper View Post
I have some burls on my property that I want to cut up and bring into my shop - but there is evidence of insects. Is there something I can do to make sure they vacate before I bring the wood inside? Or should I get a pressure washer and force them out? LOL.
You might see if you can find someone with a dry kiln. The heat from a dry kiln will sterilize the wood where power washing or insecticide will only get what is close to the surface. It could have bugs deep inside of it which wouldn't mind making a snack out of your shop.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use a pressure washer. I donít think Water will kill the bugs or larva.
I would use kerosene applied liberally with a sponge. The kerosene will not stain or hurt the wood.
I donít know if bug spray would stain the wood or not.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I want random burls on my property... That would be nice. What kind did you get?
Kerrys likes this.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I would not use a pressure washer. I donít think Water will kill the bugs or larva.
I would use kerosene applied liberally with a sponge. The kerosene will not stain or hurt the wood.
I donít know if bug spray would stain the wood or not.
Humm, didn't think about Kerosene - Doesn't that have an oil base? will it completely evaporate would be my concern.

What about Denatured Alcohol or lacquer thinner? something that will off-gas completely.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebyWoodWorker View Post
I want random burls on my property... That would be nice. What kind did you get?
We cleared some trees, one of the maples had a huge knot in the trunk. After taking the tree down, I cut the burl out. Probably weighs about 120lbs. I had to use my chain saw to rip it in half just so I could load it in my truck. About half way I saw a few sparks, found some buck shot in it, which is probably what caused the damage to create the burl to begin with. It's go some crazy grain patterns. I'll try to get some pics of it after I get it all cleaned up, part of it reminds me of fish scales.

There are a few more in the area similar in size, I'm thinking 25-30 years ago there were some hunters with either really bad aim, or they used some tress for target practice.
Roybrew likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 05:26 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Bugs are tenacious! For my job one time, I had to arrange to move a 1000# capacity dough mixer from a shut down plant to be used at another plant. I had a mobile truck pressure washer spray it inside and out and then had an exterminator tent it and spray it. I was feeling real thorough, but then learned that the receiving plant inspected it on the flat bed trailer, found roaches, and had to finish the job.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 05:35 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Methyl Bromide used to fumigate timber ships. Perhaps enclosing in a large polythene bag with some paradichlorbenzene (toilet blocks/moth repellent) or (Carbon Tetrachloride (Fire extinguisher fluid) would have similar effect. (Both toxic.)
johnep
post #9 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 PM

View Cowboy18's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassper View Post

What species of wood Jassper?

Never mind I read more, don't know smack about Maple.

I could tell you how to fire cure it, but I don't know what it would do to Maple.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it"

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cowboy18; 11-19-2017 at 11:31 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
JOATMON

Well, yesterday I cut off a small chunk and cleaned it all up and used Thinner to kill any bugs. They didn't have a chance to even crawl out lol. They looked like carpenter ants to me, black ants. I then blew them all out with 120psi air. about 100 or so came out of that chunk - all dead now. Now I have a block that has a bunch of empty holes and channels, should look cool with resin! (will have to wait until it dries first)

I'm wondering if I set off some type of alarm with them because today I decided to clean up the rest of it with my air nozzle and no ants - none. Like they all vacated. I did however get this grub out of the most rotted part. They wouldn't vacate and leave the brood mother would they or is this a termite larva? It's about 1/2" long and 3/32" diameter.

Anyways I drowned the parts in Thinner :) and I will leave them out for a while longer to ensure I got all the bugs out.

They need to dry longer to get the rest of the bark off, but what do you think so far? The 3 largest parts are from 20 to 30lbs each (still wet) they will get lighter as they dry. I'll have to look into kin drying (little to big for the toaster oven) or wait a couple years before doing much of anything with it. Or turn it green. That center piece might make a nice end table top :) Can't really see it in the photo, but the top portion of that center piece has grain going 3 different directions. looks like scales. The piece to the left of it has those ripples.

Last edited by Jassper; 11-20-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode