Buffer Head for Drill - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

View JudgeSmails's Photo Album My Photos
Buffer Head for Drill

Hello All,

New to the forum, but I think I will be needing experienced suggestions now that I'm getting into furniture restoration. I saw a video on Youtube that showed how they used Howard Restor-A-Finish on used wood furniture. I saw the presenter use a very find fiber buffer head for his drill. I cannot find a buffer head anywhere on-line. Its a large and appears to really do a good job on larger areas. Plus its plush enough to do curved areas. Does anyone know where I can order a few of these buffer heads?

This is the Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmetydOUYY

Thanks much,
The Judge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Hello All,

New to the forum, but I think I will be needing experienced suggestions now that I'm getting into furniture restoration. I saw a video on Youtube that showed how they used Howard Restor-A-Finish on used wood furniture. I saw the presenter use a very find fiber buffer head for his drill. I cannot find a buffer head anywhere on-line. Its a large and appears to really do a good job on larger areas. Plus its plush enough to do curved areas. Does anyone know where I can order a few of these buffer heads?

This is the Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmetydOUYY

Thanks much,
The Judge
Holy crap! Do not do anything that guy shows! Did you see him lose control of that drill as it drove over the edge? Steel wool, magic potions and the incorrect power tool, this is a recipe for disaster. None of this is necessary or recommended for cleaning and polishing furniture. There are good YouTube videos and complete idiots, you need to be able to recognise the difference and use a little common sense.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Something like this would be better.

Buffer Head for Drill-image-4110678955.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, the guy filmed a video with a cell prone held vertical. That alone should raise questions on his credibility. Beyond that, using any sort of buffing head to 'restore' an old finish seems like a horrible idea. Even if everything works perfect you'd still be left with a surface that would be inferior to what you'd get with an actual, dirt cheap buffer, or even polishing compound and a rag. It won't work perfectly though, what's more likely to happen is you'll burn through the finish and the pad will catch on the corners, ripping the drill out of your hand and sending it across the shop.

You want to restore furniture, thats not the way to do it. Maybe if you were buffing metal, but not wood. Get a buffer like hwebb posted, $20 at Walmart and won't screw up your piece

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2015, 02:35 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
That fellow wouldn't touch ANY of my furniture.
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode