Brilliant or Dumb idea? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

View mhhickma's Photo Album My Photos
Brilliant or Dumb idea?

Dust system. Currently I'm not interested in a real system and am making due with a rigid shop vacuum and a cyclone dust deputy. I'm satisfied with it overall.

Here are a the tools I run on the dust system from time to time.

Wen Planer
Cuttech Bench top jointer
Miter saw
Bench Sander

So here's the question.

Around me I can get a used shop vac for $20-$30. Is there any benefit to hooking up two shop vac's to the same collection hose? Do I gain anything by having two vacuums running at the same time on those machines? Of course they would be after the cyclone.

Does double the vacuums cause double the suction?

Or am I over engineering this and not getting a better result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 05:27 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think so.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
It might be a little better but probably not measurable

But if you had like a 2x4x2 tee or wye and you could set the 4 inch as the inlet from the machine you would get quite a bit better airflow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Do not hook to common hose/pipe. If you want to use two then keep them separate.

George
post #5 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It won't cost much to find out

You can always use a second shop vac, I have 3 or 4 hooked to various machines, bandsaws, sanders and a RAS. To increase suction as an experiment, run both hoes to a Y fitting and then attach that to you main hose. Turn one vac on at a time, then both. See what happens at the other end.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-30-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #6 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

George: if bout a Y fitting on top of the dust deputy would that work? Also why not combine into one hose prior to the cyclone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 47 Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
For dust collection, think CFM. What is the combined cfm of the two small shop vacs you are thinking about? I use a single ShopVac for all of the dust collection in my shop. This includes: table saw, band saw, miter saw, 13" planer, 6" jointer, oscillating spindle sander, mortising on the drill press, scroll saw, router table, and various sanders. I use 2 1/2", 1 1/2", and a 1" diameter hoses, depending on the application. The single vac handles all of these machines with ease. I use washable CleanStream pleated filters in the vac. When I was looking to purchase a new vac for the shop, I looked for one with the highest cfm I could find. The one I bought is an industrial rated unit and pulls 95 cfm. Yes, it was more expensive than your $30 vac, but it's nearly 20 years old and still going strong, and I will not likely need to purchase another one. The unit also features a tool triggered function, so you only have to turn on the tool that's plugged into it and it runs for 15 seconds after you turn the tool off to clear the hose. The single unit also takes up much less space in my 12'x22' shop. It works so well, I've foregone the idea of building a chip separator unit, relying on the 12 gallon tank capacity.
JohnTC likes this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #8 of 47 Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Added thought, and I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. If the two vacs do not produce exactly the same cfm, you will not get the doubling effect you are seeking. Follow the KISS method and you'll have better results for your expenditure.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #9 of 47 Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There is quite a bit of info, and many different opinions floating around the online world, one thing to be aware of apparently is to make sure there is enough capacity available through the line to allow enough air flow over the motors to cool them so as not to burn them out.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 47 Old 03-31-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna keep the system I have and just save up to buy a cheaper dust collection system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 47 Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Darn. I was hoping you'd try it and report back whether it worked.
woodnthings likes this.
post #12 of 47 Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM

View okbear's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
Darn. I was hoping you'd try it and report back whether it worked.
I know this is an older thread but thought I’d pipe up and say I’m about to try it. Any input is welcome. So the setup will most likely be:

2 145 cfm (they say) shop vacs —> Y —> Dust Deputy (the smaller one) mounted on a 30 gallon rigid food grade barrel with a sealed top (lock ring). The barrel is very solid so I don’t think there will be any issues with it collapsing. I probably should have checked in here first as I already have the dust deputy. I have a 30x50 shop with 14’ walls that serves many purposes. Two of those are my wood working and my wife’s refinishing of old furniture. We quickly found out that my wood working makes her finishing in the shop impossible. So she is currently doing her prep work in the shop and finishing in the garage.

My plan is to run pvc the length of the shop up high and T off wherever I need to. Then come down with flexible hose. I understand this will require blast gates. Current tools are a table saw, miter saw and a sander. I also have the Kreg K5 system. I may do a floor sweep as well.

So you now know as much as I do about my plan. lol. Questions I have for you guys are what size pvc to run? What size flex hose? I do have one 20’ section of 2.5” flexible shop vac hose coming but it wasn’t much if I don’t end up using it.

I noticed in the diy guide that comes with the dust deputy that there were no suggestions that include expanding the system without buying another dust deputy or two. I kinda figure they don’t want to include any ideas that don’t involve you giving them some more of your money. lol
Woodified likes this.

Last edited by okbear; 06-02-2018 at 10:35 PM.
post #13 of 47 Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Two vacuums, I would be inclined to hook one up to half the equipment and the other for the rest.
okbear likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
okbear (06-03-2018)
post #14 of 47 Old 06-02-2018, 11:32 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on the brand, the shop vacuum can be one of the loudest machines in the shop. I don’t want the noise of two running at once. Let us know if you try two and it makes a big difference.
okbear likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #15 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Depending on the brand, the shop vacuum can be one of the loudest machines in the shop. I don’t want the noise of two running at once. Let us know if you try two and it makes a big difference.
Will do. I’ll document the process and performance if y’all want. It’s noisy but no worse than my miter saw or sanded. The one I have is a shop vac 6 peak hp 12 gal. I can get a deal at Lowes with my contractor account so I’ll just pick up another one of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D1DC10B-0150-4E65-8212-377B491CCB00.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	362073  

post #16 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 AM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
Check out the dust collection videos from Stumpy Nubs. This Stumpy Nubs video,
where he put two Harbor Freight dust collectors together and ran a few tests to measure the results might answer some of your questions.
okbear likes this.
post #17 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regesullivan View Post
Check out the dust collection videos from Stumpy Nubs. This Stumpy Nubs video, Dust Collection Finale- My HOMEMADE Cyclone vs Clear Vue View CV1800 Woodworking w/ Stumpy Nubs 31 - YouTube where he put two Harbor Freight dust collectors together and ran a few tests to measure the results might answer some of your questions.
Yes. I have seen those. I’ve been researching for a bit.
post #18 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Two vacuums, I would be inclined to hook one up to half the equipment and the other for the rest.
Yes. But if I can avoid buying another dust deputy, I would like to. If this hobby continues I’ll most likely do something much more “higher end” at some point.
post #19 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 01:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbear View Post
Yes. But if I can avoid buying another dust deputy, I would like to. If this hobby continues I’ll most likely do something much more “higher end” at some point.
You might try the old fashion system. For the first 40 years in my woodworking career dust control was a broom and dust pan. I mainly bought a dust collector because I bought a table saw that required one.
AmishElectricCo likes this.
post #20 of 47 Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 PM

So given what I’m thinking, what size pvc would y’all run up high? I’m thinking 3” or 4” but I don’t want to induce clogs. Probably 3”. I don’t want to cause an issue with suction in the larger pvc as I think the flex hose will be 2.5” and the openings on the dust deputy are 2”. I don’t know how much smaller openings and larger pipe changes will affect cfm and I couldn’t find anything on the web. I think the pvc part of this project will be the most labor intensive. I have scaffold on casters in my shop but it’s a lot of up and down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode