Brad point drill set - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

View dws780's Photo Album My Photos
Brad point drill set

What brand/model of brad point drill bits everyone uses here?

I recently purchased a set from HF )$15)and did test on a 2x3 soft pine and itís struggling to drill through it. It feels dull out of the box. Reviewed seems good too good for the price of a set.

I heard the Fisch -7-Piece HSS Fisch Dual-Spur Dual-Cutter 4-Flute Brad Point Drill Set ($109)
Is one of the best but itís out of my budget.

How are Dewalt and Irwin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'd go to Amazon ....

Their return policy is really good. Their site also has questions and reviews, so you can learn a lot there. This Dewalt set get good reviews and is supposed to be made of HSS, which is what you should look for:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1720...pf_rd_i=552394

I have 2 sets, probably a Fisch and H-F brand, I donno. I don't use them that much and typically use Forstners. I think the brad points would be better for deeper holes, but I'm real not sure of that. I can put a new edge on my Forstners easier than the brad points to keep them sharp by using a flat diamond hone.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-07-2020 at 03:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Junior Woodchuck

View Lakewood Brian's Photo Album My Photos
If you do go to Amazon, don't forget to check the reviews out w/ FakeSpot. https://www.fakespot.com/ It's surprising how often reviews for certain products are fraudulent on Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

I mainly want to use it on my dowel jig. I will give dewalt brand a try.

Maybe I give my Freud Forstner bit a try too

post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 04:48 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Generally brad point drill bits are not good for drilling into end grain because they tend to follow the grain.

A lot of times brad point drill bits can be sharpened with a small lapping diamond file. The type that you would use to touch up router bits. Just run the lapping stone over each lip of the twist portion of the drill bit the same number of times.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2020, 06:05 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have multiple brad point drill sets:

Woodcraft:
* WoodRiver 29 piece fractional inch brad point drill set.
* WoodRiver 25 piece metric brad point drill set.
I purchased them when they were on sale for $29 each. (Normal price: $55 each)
These are the drills I use for everyday woodworking. Good enough, not great. Much better than the Bora set below. One drill was bent from the start. I didn't discover it until I needed that size. It was way too late to return, especially because there was no way to prove that I didn't damage it.
My rating: Meh.

Bora Portamate PM-1350 300-piece drill bit set
Purchased at Rockler on closeout for $30. Couldn't resist at that price (Over $100 elsewhere.) This is a HUGE set of every kind of drill you can imagine, all in fractional inch, no metric. The set includes multiple drills of the same size for common typically smaller sizes. Lots of brad point bits. Lots of other bits.
My rating: Yuck. You get what you pay for. Useful for scrapwood and when you don't want to use your good drill bits.

Fisch HSS Pen Making Drills in 3/8 and 27/64 inch, 7 and 10 mm, and Letter O (8.03 mm):
Purchased individually at Rockler.
These are long drill bits with parabolic flutes (whatever that means), specifically designed for drilling pen blanks the long way through end grain and plastics (acrylic).
These bits really work for me. Handle with care - one gave me a deep finger cut from a flute on the side of the drill.
-> If other Fisch brad point drill bits are comparable, then they will serve you well if price is no object.
My rating: Very good. Very sharp. Very durable. Very expensive.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Their return policy is really good. Their site also has questions and reviews, so you can learn a lot there. This Dewalt set get good reviews and is supposed to be made of HSS, which is what you should look for:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW1720...pf_rd_i=552394

I have 2 sets, probably a Fisch and H-F brand, I donno. I don't use them that much and typically use Forstners. I think the brad points would be better for deeper holes, but I'm real not sure of that. I can put a new edge on my Forstners easier than the brad points to keep them sharp by using a flat diamond hone.

I bought the dewalt and itís so much better then the HF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode