"The Box" urban legend? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

View Rory's Photo Album My Photos
"The Box" urban legend?

Some years a go I had heard a story of a woodcarver who had carved a very intricate box of world class quality. As the story goes it won nearly every contest that he entered into. It was so admired by other carvers and won so many times that it was simply referred to as "The Box". I was trying to pull up a pic of it but now I am wondering if it just wasn't an urban legend. Has anybody else heard this story or know anything about it?
-Rory-

Rory - The Greentiques Solution Guy

Please visit my blog at http://thegreentiquessolution.blogspot.com/ It is for people who are interested in working with their hands, stimulating the economy, and cleaning up the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I never heard that story Rory. That rhymes.

My memory is not so good either so I'll toss one back at you. I believe this story was in one of the bio's of the woodworkers in my library so could be Krenov, Maloof, Nakashima, Klausz, Nyquist etc. I don;t remember but here's the story . . .

In the article or book whatever, the woodworker was saying that a true master woodworker could hardly develop his skills to the level needed unless he studied under another master and began in his very early years, like single digits. Mid teens was too late. The first order of business was to take a cube of wood, and learn to fashion a perfect orb from it by hand. No other task could be given to the apprentice until he first mastered this, and if he could not then he should not pursue this craft.

Like you, I am not certain I read this in a novel/biography or if it's also a myth, but I'd like to know. Seems pretty harsh to me. I'm sure there are prodigies who've bloomed late . . . I'm hoping to be one some day.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

View Rory's Photo Album My Photos
Perfect orb from a block of wood huh? Sounds like a challenge. Wheres my pocket knife? -Rory-

Rory - The Greentiques Solution Guy

Please visit my blog at http://thegreentiquessolution.blogspot.com/ It is for people who are interested in working with their hands, stimulating the economy, and cleaning up the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Can you imagine pursuing one single profession to the exclusion of all else as was done in the days of having a trade? I can't see that working in todays world of rapidly changing economy, professions, and ideas. I was once referred to by a fellow worker as a "Jack of all trades, and master of none". It suits me to a Tee, as I have many varied interests and it is likely I will never master anything. If I get pretty damn good at some of them I am quite happy.

Just out of curiosity I tried Googling "the box", and didn't find "the box"

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry KIERNAN; 03-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Can you imagine pursuing one single profession to the exclusion of all else as was done in the days of having a trade? I can't see that working in todays world of rapidly changing economy, professions, and ideas. I was once referred to by a fellow worker as a "Jack of all trades, and master of none". It suits me to a Tee, as I have many varied interests and it is likely I will never master anything. If I get pretty damn good at some of them I am quite happy.

Gerry
This idea is preserved to a degree in Japan. There are long-lived masters of certain arts and are considered national treasures. Could be a martial art, calligraphy, pottery, woodworking (that's probably why the Japanese have some of the most sophisticated jointery), etc.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 AM

View IdaCurt's Photo Album My Photos
Found it!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to IdaCurt For This Useful Post:
Streamwinner (03-04-2010)
post #7 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM

View IdaCurt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post

Gerry
You still see that in Europe,there you will find lots of people that pursue a trade to become a "master" at it and that is all they do until the day they die.

America is great because you can do anything at anytime BUT there are few that attain the knowledge /skill to be called a master.

People like Nakashima and Maloof come to mind for us woodworkers that were true masters.

Last edited by IdaCurt; 03-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaCurt View Post
Found it!
Hahahaha.....
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I was once referred to by a fellow worker as a "Jack of all trades, and master of none". It suits me to a Tee, as I have many varied interests and it is likely I will never master anything. If I get pretty damn good at some of them I am quite happy.
..or perhaps you have merely "mastered" balance. there are many people that might be considered masters of some activity whos lives are totally unmanagable.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I've found that I don't consider myself a master of anything but people who don't know about a particular subject consider me a master of a lot of things. It's all relative, I think. I'm a "jack of all trades" type of person and one of my biggest "hero"es is Leonardo Da Vinci simply because he was like that. I'm good at a lot of things, (I'm no Da Vinci) good enough that a lot of people think I'm very good at a lot of things, but the concept of a true master has never been very prolific. They're called masters for a reason, and very few in any culture or any trade were really so talented that they would be considered a "true master" by other "masters". By definition "master" simply means someone who has apprentices so if any of us teach others some skill or trade then we are "masters" no matter what our actual skill level. Michaelangelo's teacher was certainly a "master" but he'll never be regarded the same as his apprentice who is considered a "true master".

It's all relative. I like mics' idea that mastering balance is just as much being a master as mastering any particular skill or trade.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
MD Custom Furniture

View Gorp's Photo Album My Photos
I got mastered baiting my hooks when I go fishing. What would call that for a skill???

post #12 of 12 Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorp View Post
I got mastered baiting my hooks when I go fishing. What would call that for a skill???

Well, ya can't beat that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode