Bosch 1617EVSPK - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Bosch 1617EVSPK

Manufactureres change CEO's and quality levels as time goes by.
Is this still considered a good all around router?
Price is not the prime motivator, but is still considered.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Manufactureres change CEO's and quality levels as time goes by.
Is this still considered a good all around router?
Price is not the prime motivator, but is still considered.
Can't speak for the latest version, I have an older nonVS, it's been a great router.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
Tony B (07-17-2020)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I had that one for a few years until selling it in preparation for my last move. I liked it well, would consider it again. When I replaced it, I went with the next version up which has a switch in the handle. I do like that better than just a switch on the body.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 10:59 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I had that one for a few years until selling it in preparation for my last move. I liked it well, would consider it again. When I replaced it, I went with the next version up which has a switch in the handle. I do like that better than just a switch on the body.
Last Fall, I was shopping for a mid-size plunge/fixed router set. I looked at both Bosch router sets - the 1617EVSPK and the MRC23EVSK.

The MRC23EVSK is the one with the switch in the handle. When I saw it in person, I realized that motor cannot be easily adapted to work in a router lift for a router table. The motor has four metal bars and the base has matching contacts that transfer the trigger switch and power between the base and the motor. Without the base, there is no way to turn the router motor on and off.

Based on the advice of friends, I bought a Porter-Cable 895pk router set. The Bosch 1617EVSPK was the runner up. All three are fine router sets, and I am confident that @Tony B would be pleased with any of them.

Note that all three router sets have a built-in feature where you can adjust router bit height in a router table from above. They don't have the precision, rigidity, and sturdiness of a true router lift, but they work.

P.S. I have an old, underpowered Black and Decker router with a switch in the handle (1/4 inch shank only). Having a switch in the handle is a nice convenience. It has a lock button on the handle, so it can run without requiring you to hold down the trigger. You press the trigger once to unlock it and turn it off.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 07-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
Tony B (07-17-2020)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 12:50 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I used the Bosch 1617 in a generic router table with the Bosch adapter (p/n RA1165). In all honesty, the Bosch lift leaves a LOT to be desired. It was easily plugged up with shavings and didn't lift very smoothly. I had to push up on the router motor while using the key in the table to keep it from binding. Lowering was okay but it's nowhere near as good as a proper lift. At the time, it was my primary router for all things routered, so I used it both in and out of the table.

Now, I use the new Bosch solely for hand-work. I bought an Incra router table and permanently mounted a big Porter-Cable in there. Not even a fair comparison between the two setups. So for me, I was not looking to use the Bosch in a table so the switch in the handle totally makes sense for my use.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table

Last edited by ChiknNutz; 07-17-2020 at 02:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiknNutz For This Useful Post:
Tony B (07-17-2020)
post #6 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 01:17 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I have that router set and I love it. Of all the routers I have, it is my favorite. I noticed that the price has gone down since I bought mine.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Tony B (07-17-2020)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-17-2020, 06:08 PM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
I have two of em. Work horses! Great router.

A handful of patience is worth a bushel of brains...
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance Man For This Useful Post:
Tony B (07-17-2020)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Pleasant Surprise

Today, the routers arrived.
This was sold through Amazon by CPO Outlets. It arrived today. I opened the box and wasnt expecting the case and all.
Looks like this has never been used. The cord, the plastic base, everything looked untouched. Also didnt expect the instruction manual either. Frankly, I didnt expect much and I had never bought anything 'reconditioned'.
Tomorrow, I might find time to check it out.
BigJim likes this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2020, 08:09 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I think alot of stuff labelled as reconditioned just means the box was opened and returned for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #10 of 10 Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
My old Craftsman router had a switch in the handle - I loved that feature. I zip-tied it on when I used it in the Craftsman router table. Both got replaced with Bosch a few years ago.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode