The book that got me started down this path - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

View TimberTim's Photo Album My Photos
The book that got me started down this path

Hey guys, I thought I would share with you the book that made me start woodworking in the first place. It is more of a beginners guidebook, but I still use it to this day whenever I need to freshen up on something. The first project I ever made, a very rustic oak table with my grandfather, came from this book. The book is free to share, as it is part of the Guthenberg Project collection. I hope it is as useful to you as it was to me!

Last edited by difalkner; 11-15-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 PM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
So what’s the book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like the link to the book was removed my a moderator. probably because it was spam

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2019, 11:33 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
The link to the book was removed by a moderator. I do not know why.

Project Gutenberg is a collection of books in the public domain, freely available to all. Anyone can download the files and read the books. Most of the books are old, and their copyrights (if any) expired. Some never had copyrights, such as the King James version of the Bible. It is a legitimate, wonderful resource on the internet.

If @TimberTim posted a link to a book from Project Gutenberg, then it is free for anyone to download and read. I typed "woodworking" in the search box and got a list of books. Perhaps TimberTim can post the title of the book and let us search for it ourselves.

https://www.gutenberg.org
JamesTinKS and faith michel like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 AM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
I want to add another source in internet.

https://www.pdfdrive.com/

Pdfdrive is a type pdf google.. You can find manuals user's guides and free e books about woodworking.. You can legal download it.. Files are pdf..

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

SECOND CHANCE & SECOND LİFE

Last edited by faith michel; 11-17-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 12:19 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
the link in the original post referring to a book was either corrupt or spam.
so it was deleted.
as mentioned, many good free PDF books are available on the net.
you just have to be careful of what you download these days.
spammers, scammers and imposters are getting smarter with their tricks.
always double check the source before you press the "download" button.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 01:00 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if @TimberTim will get back to us about his book recommendation, so I did a little research of my own. To remind you, all of the books on Project Gutenberg are in the public domain, free for anyone to download, copy, share, read, and use.

Here is a search of woodworking books on Project Gutenberg:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sea...ry=woodworking

The first two books in the list were downloaded the most times, but I was not interested:

* The Mechanical Properties of Wood by Samuel J. Record
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12299
This book is a very academic presentation of the properties of wood. It is full of formulas, charts and tables of the results of all kinds of testing to determine breaking points, etc. There is good information here about wood and its properties, but this book is drier than sawdust. I prefer the online wood database for this sort of information, although the book dives very deep.
Recommended Alternate: The online Wood Database - https://www.wood-database.com

* Woodworking Tools 1600-1900 by Peter C. Welsh
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27238
This was written in 1966 by Peter C. Welsh, a curator at the Smithsonian. It is a US government publication. It reviews the evolution of woodworking hand tools. If you are interested in old hand tools, this book might be for you. It is a history of changes in hand tool design, not a guide on how to use the hand tools you have.

This book is the one I am betting that TimberTim wanted to recommend, but it is just a guess, nothing more:

* RECOMMENDED: Woodwork Joints: How They Are Set Out, How Made and Where Used. by William Fairham
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21531
This is the first book in the list that really caught my interest. It has excellent illustrations of various woodworking joints that we use today. Written in 1920 (but with two later illustrations up to 1929), it would be just as good if it had a 2019 copyright. Nothing in it would look unfamiliar to any of us, other than the fact that they expect hand tools, and we have the option to make the same joints with power tools.

Look at the search link above, and see if any of the other woodworking books on Project Gutenberg might interest you. The price is right. :-)
DavidR8 likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 11-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode