Boat Anchors'r'US - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
puffessional Scrabbleist

View TonyM's Photo Album My Photos
Boat Anchors'r'US

I looked for a thread like this and found none. I hope it isn't redundant.

Most woodworkers that I know have a tool under a bench or behind a saw somewhere that is basically crap yet they hang on to it with hopes of revival. Anybody else own up to harboring an ugly bench critter?

Mine is a planer that I found at a mill estate sale about thirty years ago. It is(was) an industrial-grade piece at one time. It has no brand and has more iron in it than all my other tools combined. At one point I had a pipe dream about disassembling it and reassembling it as a lathe using the heavy-weight drum and a treadle-like foot action device I found but once I awoke I forget the details. I have it hooked up and it gets used as a shaper once in awhile but if someone walked off with it I wouldn't report the loss. Besides, they wouldn't get far.

Any others?

TonyM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I have one of the first Proformax drum sanders. Even have the veritable speed drive for it. It has been sitting dismantled in the corner for 19 years. I paid so much for it I was going to make it work if it killed me. What a wicked destructive hunk of junk that tool was.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 AM

View Julie Mor's Photo Album My Photos
I had an old Craftsman jointer and a Craftsman sanding center, both on wobbly Craftsman wheeled-leg sets that caused me nothing but grief. The jointer kept falling out of parallel and the sander disk wouldn't hold the PSA sheets and trying to move them around was an exercise in frustration, the wheel lifts kept failing. I couldn't sell them when I had garage sales and finally just gave them away. I probably owned them for 20 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Wish mine was small enough to fit under a bench. More like a ship anchor. I have an old 3PH J-Line lathe that I'll never restore. Getting the beast on a truck to go to the scrap yard isn't easy but it's too far gone for anything else.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The first time I moved to a larger shop, a paint shaker was there. I thought how cool...my own paint shaker. But, the first time I tried it, it hippity hopped all over the place. So, it got stashed and never used.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I found a working tread mill and made a long belt sander out of it. I've never bought a belt for it. It sets in a corner and, having a flat horizontal surface, collects all sorts of stuff, as well as sawdust.
Like Al B, I HAD a Performax piece of junk. For a long time, it too sat in a corner. I finally unloaded it.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #7 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
puffessional Scrabbleist

View TonyM's Photo Album My Photos
BBQ Bucks

Just an info note for those who wish to salvage the metal to sell for scrap. My wife bought a huge SS BBQ from Costco and kept it spotless for it's lifespan. She told me I could keep it but she quickly changed her mind when I came home with $192. That's a lot of sawdust. I had to disassemble it first but clean metal sells for a good chunk of dough here and prices go up constantly. They put you thru a background check before letting you sell it due to the meth-heads.

TonyM
post #8 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
I wish I had a "veritable" speed drive.
Bill
post #9 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 01:35 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
that was the problem with mine. It wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
Bill

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #10 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill White
Bill
Don't make funn of my spel cheque,

Nails only hold themselves.

post #11 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I will fess up to having some dust gathering machines, but may not be boat anchors.

a) A Craftsman Radial Drill Press. I upgraded to a floor standing Powermatic, so this now gathers dust.

b) A Bosch 3915 10in SCMS. I upgraded to the Bosch 12in glider, so this now gather dust.

c) A small anvil. Purchased years ago from Grizzly. I thought I would use it, but so far only as a dust magnet. Perhaps my closest to a good boat anchor due to the weight.

d) Ridgid oscillating spindle sander. I got a dedicated spindle sander from Grizzly which works better than the Ridgid spindle and a 12in disc sander from Grizzly which works better than the belt. So now the Ridgid is on a bench gathering dust.

I should sell these, I just hate to hassle with CL buyers.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I had a 1970 +/- Craftsman radial arm saw with all the vintage attachments I bought used in the late 70's. This thing couldn't hold square within 1/4" over its travel distance. Then thought it would be good for cross cutting saw for thin metal. Didn't use it for decades. I finally gave it away as scrap metal last month . I didn't want the liability of lawsuit selling on CL.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode