bloodwood in a cutting board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

View woodchip's Photo Album My Photos
bloodwood in a cutting board

I know this is short on words but would blood wood be a safe wood to use on a cutting board? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 06:35 PM

View ~WoodChuck~'s Photo Album My Photos
I dont know anything about bloodwood nor have i ever heard of it. Cutting board should be made of tight grained wood. The tighter the grain and more dense the better. Also stay away from oily wood.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WoodChuck~ View Post
I dont know anything about bloodwood nor have i ever heard of it. Cutting board should be made of tight grained wood. The tighter the grain and more dense the better. Also stay away from oily wood.

If that's the case then Bloodwood is fine, talk about dense, but man is it beautiful.......This guy uses it, I am sure it is fine, good choice in woods............

https://www.keithsprankle.com/produc...roducts_id/288
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

View woodchip's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Nate i didn't even think to search the net for the answer. Guess i was having a blonde moment.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Woodchip,
I don't see any reason why bloodwood would be a problem for a cutting board. It is a very hard, dense wood. Just make sure you have a decent blade in your saw when you go to cut it. It will look good with another contrasting wood like maple.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
All things wood!

View ken61's Photo Album My Photos
Bloodwood is a NO NO

There are many reports of "contact dermatitis" resulting from bloodwood exposure. In most reference books this is clearly stated for bloodwood. Probably NOT good in a cutting board.

Do a google search for" bloodwood allergy" and see the results !

ken
post #7 of 7 Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 AM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
I think that you don't need to worry about it being toxic. I have used it quite a bit in some of my small projects. You may have to think about the density. I know that some of it can be quite dense, however I have found that some of the most colorful can be soft. Do it, but choose your wood with fine grain. Remember that all of these beautiful woods will darken with time and may not be recognized as more than a dark wood years from now.
Go to my web site, posted below, and to special turnings. I used bloodwood in the first vase, because it is so beautiful and distinctive. It has since darkened, but is still outstanding.

Last edited by Ohio Ron; 03-09-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode