blade size - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

View odesti's Photo Album My Photos
blade size

Hi-I'll introduce myself later after finding out if this is, indeed, the forum for beginning idiots that I really need. You'll see what I mean in a moment.
I'm older and permanently disabled. I am very limited physically due to nerve impairment but can do things that I enjoy for an hour, or so, before I can't any longer. Fly fishing is one that I know , the other is new to me but I've always wanted to make little, simplistic, wood working projects. What may take you a few days may take me months but that's kind of the point for me. Should have done all of this in the intro!!
Anyway, I went into extreme debt this past week and bought 7 quite nice DeWalt power tools and one Skil circular saw. My stupid question finally: the portable DeWalt table saw, like the miter saw, is 10". I wanted to rip a 2x4 on edge but can't quite do it with the 10". I can reverse it but I'll make it sloppy and the one tool I kept changing my mind about was an electric planer. Can I put a 12" blade on the the 10" saw temporarily and have room for it to work within the saw? I'm pretty sure that I can't but this is only the first of many such questions so get used to it please! lol Thanks, alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 AM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
To start with Alan, Welcome to the forum. Next thing is that in my experience the only stupid question is the one you did'nt ask because that was the one that would have probably saved your life, body parts, or even money. That being said, the best advice I can give you is don't try it, if it was safe to put a 12" blade in a 10" saw they would call it a 12" saw.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
The Following User Says Thank You to JMC'sLT30 For This Useful Post:
odesti (12-30-2010)
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC'sLT30 View Post
To start with Alan, Welcome to the forum. Next thing is that in my experience the only stupid question is the one you did'nt ask because that was the one that would have probably saved your life, body parts, or even money. That being said, the best advice I can give you is don't try it, if it was safe to put a 12" blade in a 10" saw they would call it a 12" saw.

Yeah, I know and thanks! Just thought that maybe I'd get lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
ripping on edge is "resawing"

Just so you know! Welcome.
The best way to accomplish what you want is to make 2 cuts up from the edges, on either side by flipping the board end for end, keeping the same face to the fence.
Having said that, the riving knife should be in place. Reason being is that the saw cut/kerf may want to close back onto itself and pinch the rear of the blade and send it back at you, called a "kickback"
Never install a larger blade than the saw is designed for, but smaller blades will work fine if the arbors are the same, usually 5/8".
Yes, you may want to get a planer if you end up getting rough saw lumber eventaully. Having said that a jointer will also be required, they sort of work in combination, joint first, plane next. That's a whole 'nother discussion tho..... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Just so you know! Welcome.
The best way to accomplish what you want is to make 2 cuts up from the edges, on either side by flipping the board end for end, keeping the same face to the fence.
Having said that, the riving knife should be in place. Reason being is that the saw cut/kerf may want to close back onto itself and pinch the rear of the blade and send it back at you, called a "kickback"
Never install a larger blade than the saw is designed for, but smaller blades will work fine if the arbors are the same, usually 5/8".
Yes, you may want to get a planer if you end up getting rough saw lumber eventaully. Having said that a jointer will also be required, they sort of work in combination, joint first, plane next. That's a whole 'nother discussion tho..... bill

Ok, boy am I going to have fun learning . Or, if I wasn't such a pacifist go kill something. Now I'm just at my budget-actually never was one and am just in big debt ("the winner when dying is the one owing the most") so I just can't get a joiner or a combo now. But I am going to order a planer from Amazon which is where I shop and can get it tomorrow if I hurry up and order within an hour or so. Without getting into tool debates, which I would lose knowing next to nothing, if I ask you of the 3 choices I see at Amazon right now that seem comparable can you advise me? This may be frowned upon by the forum, but I could use the help. If you can, I'll send the pages. If you can't, it's ok and I won't be grumpy about it
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get involved in this. I'm getting the DeWalt for $150.00. May as well stick with them. Thanks anyway and I understand staying out of this! Who in the Hell am I anyway?!! lol
post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Don't be afraid to ask questions, most of us are more than willing to offer our opinions.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #8 of 8 Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Ask away, don't be shy. Sometimes I can't believe the questions I've had to ask. I'm always very thankful I asked them, People here have shown me things I never would have imagined.Search past posts too, there's a wealth of info here. Check out the "Let's see some damage" thread, it's a good place to start.
Have fun
Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode