Blade lubricant - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

View Gerry19's Photo Album My Photos
Blade lubricant

Is it worth it to purchase blade lubricant for router bits. I was looking at Bostik BladeCote in Amazon. Just wondering if anyone has used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2015, 06:27 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
I'd worry they would leave something on the wood that would affect the finish.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Do you work with a lot of pine or other sappy wood? Personally I've never had a bit accumulate enough sap to be a problem. Back when I did a lot of laminate work I had contact cement build up on trim bits but WD-40 took care of that. This would be the only benefit of using the BladeCote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
I've never used a lubricant on blades or bits. sharp blades and bits of the proper type for the task at hand are all you need.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Echo'ing above......yeah it has happened here(sap/funk buildup on tooling),but the reasons have been pretty obvious.Cheap tooling and or dull,improper tooth geometry,yada.yada.

IF....and only you can decide,you want to try a lubricant.Pam cooking spray is recommended by some band mill guys for cutting green woods.And don't use it like my wife,drowning the brownie pan(blade)to the point of it running on my beautiful(hand-planed)kitchen floor.........just a small amt.

The time or two?.....I've lubed a resaw blade,sprayed the "stuff" on a rag and then LIGHTLY wiped the blade(machine is OFF).Did it work....yeah,kinda.We don't do enough green or sappy wood where a true comparo could be quantified.Will we do it in the future.....probably.Since I stole(rescued) the Pam from the kitchen,it lives under lock and key in the BS tooling cabinet.

*From the ,more than you want to know side of it......I've always looked at the "paint" on cheap tooling(shaper,router)with a strange bit of intrepidation.Think price point.....it's fairly "gloppy",and can get sticky if the tooling gets hot,which can't be helpful?.Generally,high dollar tooling dosen't have the goop on there?Back to the wifes brownies?

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Last edited by BWSmith; 04-22-2015 at 06:27 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Never really felt a need for a blade lube on router bits. I do tend to clean them after each use instead of letting stuff build up and petrify,,, just seems easier..

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode