Biscuit or Domino Joiner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

View woodworking-videos's Photo Album My Photos
Biscuit or Domino Joiner

I've been looking at the Festool Domino Joiner. It's very pricey so I was wondering if I should just get a biscuit joiner instead.

Is the Festool Domino Joiner worth it? I can see myself using it often but I need help justifying. Thoughts?

------
http://woodworking-videos.com/
Videos to fill your wooden soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I'm one of the few who don't see them as the same tool. Biscuit joiners have lost a lot of their luster, but I still find one useful every now and then....but it not a tool that earns it's keep in my shop. In my case it never gets used when I need a tenon. Anyway, if you're interested in loose tenons, you can get there at a much lower cost while giving up some utility. A mortise pal is a great loose tenon jig, all you need is your router and a spiral bit. There are other alternatives as well, and if you insist you could probably get by with the bisuits.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
Newb

View jtmorrow's Photo Album My Photos
I have both and the biscuit joiner hasn't come out of the case since I bought a Domino 500. I find the variety of tenon sizes great and more appropriate for strengthening joints.

Biscuits are fine for alignment, but the Domino does that and can add strength.

An often overlooked aspect is the dust control. I can drill dozens of domino holes with hardly any sawdust on the bench and floor. When I used the biscuit joiner, there was a cloud and dust all over.

The price is high, but it's a solid tool and I wouldn't give it up now. I will likely sell my biscuit joiner sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
On the rare occasion I use biscuits, I just put the slots in with a router. I've been looking to get into loose tenons and I can't come to grips with an $800 difference in the Feestool domino system and the Rockler beadlock system, especially for a hobbyist.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

View woodworking-videos's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone! If many people aren't using their biscuit joiner daily, then I can see myself in the same situation.

The dust is a good point. Festool may be better for my health too as I breathe in these clouds of sand.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not tryign to influence what you do....so just take this as info. The DC on the domino requires a vac; if you don't have one that adds to the cost. If you hook that same vac to the BJ, it's just as dustless; at least mine is (PC 557). It doesn't throw a spec when hooked to the vac.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM

View Steve M.'s Photo Album My Photos
I use my biscuit joiner all the time. Mine's a DeWAlt and I hook it up to a small dust hose and that pretty much handles the dust. I mostly use mine for attaching nosings and aligning edges. When attaching nosings i usually can't spare alot of depth so i use small bisquits. Since the Festool unit uses a round peg (which relies on depth for strength) it may need more depth than would be available in a nosing attachment condition.
However to be honest I have never used the Festool unit so I can't offer a comparative analysis. I have seen excellent reports on many Festool products and the Germans are known for creating percision tools. I suppose if I were just looking to buy one or the other, and price was no object, I'd be tempted by the glamour of the Festool but I'd want to see just how shallow a dowel I could use for nosing attachments.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Can we really compare the Fe$tool Dom to a biscuit jointer? I'm sure when you Fe$ up the cash you wont be disappointed but your going to have to change the way you build to take advantage of all the different ways you can use it to make it pay. It's also my understanding you bend over when you buy the Fe$ dowels.

I like the biscuit jointer for some joints if I need a little more strength. I saw an artical in Fine Woodworking where someone built a chair with one so we know they have good strenghth.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

Tags
biscuit joiner, domino, festool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode