birch plywood grain question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
birch plywood grain question

Might be a stupid question...is baltic birch plywood just as strong wether the grain is going with or against the piece?

I have a 1/4" ply 40" L x 4" W piece and the grain is going against the length. Would it be just as durable without flexing or breaking where the grain is parallel with the length?

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Usually plywood is an odd number of plies. Sometimes the outer plies are much thinner than the inner plies, so it's going to vary according to how the plywood is constructed.

So, let's say your plywood is three plies. That means only the center ply is running with the grain. If yours is five plies then two of the five plies are running with the grain.

In thicker sheets it matters less because the plies are thicker and there are more of them. In thinner sheets, the odds are stacked against you so I'd say yes, it's weaker than if the grain were running with the length.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quarter inch Baltic Birch is a 5 ply board. The center and two outer plies are laminated in the same direction. On a narrow strip, it would be marginally stiffer if the grain was oriented in the direction of its length.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
aaronhl (06-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
In The Basement

Quote:
The center and two outer plies are laminated in the same direction.
That makes sense, 3 plys in the same direction is better than two.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhl
Might be a stupid question...is baltic birch plywood just as strong wether the grain is going with or against the piece?

I have a 1/4" ply 40" L x 4" W piece and the grain is going against the length. Would it be just as durable without flexing or breaking where the grain is parallel with the length?

Aaron
Think of it this way: If you take a piece of veneer and pull on it with the grain, you can pull on it with all your strength and not break it; now take the same piece and pull across the grain, it will readily.

Now get a piece of 1/8-inch styrofoam, and glue two sheets of veneer to it. After it drys try flexing the sandwich. It will readily flex in the cross grain direction, but will be much stiffer in the long grain direction. This is directly related to the strength of the wood, and the distance from the center of the section.

This holds true in plywood. But in plywood the layers of veneer in between the two outer layers adds a great deal of sheer strength to the sandwich. The two layers of veneer on the surface dominate the structure and their wood grain has the greatest influence on how stiff the plywood is in which direction.

The more plys and the less voids the stiffer the plywood is.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to jigs-n-fixtures For This Useful Post:
aaronhl (06-15-2012)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
In The Basement

You rock!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode