Big Combination Square! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
Big Combination Square!

I bumped onto this monster. Not sure just how handy it would be. But this might be something someone has been looking for.

http://www.lagesseproducts.com/squares/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9971.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	49130  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Gees you could knock someone out with that thing

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It's only slightly larger than a standard Stanley (see here). It's accuracy would be on a one on one. I'm not sure it's worth the price for what you get. It looks impressive. I'll have to think about that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not think I will rush out and buy one.

George
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I couldn't find a price on it. The only major plus I see is the blade and head are flush so it will work around corners. All my combination squares have the blade offset some.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I couldn't find a price on it.
I had a link in my post.
http://www.lagesseproducts.com/squares/shop/las-12p-2/

post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Thanks, I just got the link to the video. For that money the precision needs to be comparable to the Starret.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #8 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
Yea the base with a 12" is 36$
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 AM

View AndyDuframe's Photo Album My Photos
I don't mean to drift from the original post, but I've always been amazed at the wide variety of prices I've seen on combination squares (in general). I've never owned a Starret (about $100 right?), but instead I tend to buy the cheaper squares (around $25 or less) because I know eventually I'll drop the thing and ruin it. But before that happens, the cheaper squares seem to be pretty darn accurate and reliable, no?

I guess I'm wondering what makes a $100 Starrett four times better than my $25 Stanley. (I imagine there are some good reasons).
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Here is something I wrote for a woodworking club magazine a number of years ago. It may be helpful.

No matter how much you spend for a device, you still don't know if it is square. I ran a large tool and die shop and we purchased a number of Brown & Sharp and Starrett devices and some of them were not "square". We had "standards" that our quality department periodically had validated by an outside service that we then used to verify the worker's tools.

One day, one of our designers brought in two plastic drawing triangles he had purchased at a local art supply store. He had them compared to our standards and they were as accurate as the tools could measure. The triangle cost a couple of dollars each. They would certainly serve very well as the "standard" in any woodworking shop to validate and/or adjust other devices.

An excellent way to validate the accuracy of the plastic squares is to use two squares on a flat surface. Get a $10-12 plastic 30-60-90 drafting square. To prove it's exactly 90, take two to a glass counter, put the shorter legs on the counter and face the longer legs away from each other and butt them together (like a teepee). If the legs exactly butt, you can assume you have two perfect 90 angles. Using one of the plastic squares, do the same thing using your other tools. Any that mismatch, means that the tool is not square. You can also take the plastic square with you whenever you go to purchase another tool. Keep your "standard" somewhere where it doesn't get banged up.

Finally, remember that the wood you are using will expand and contract a couple of thousands from one day to the other. Does't pay to get too uptight.

While we are at it, I also only purchase the cheapest of adjustable squares. I square them with a drafting triangle and an auger file until they are square across 10". And I own a Bridge City square that isn't that accurate. Stainless steel machinist's squares are only square until you drop them. I have had several over the years and each has found a away to drop to the floor.

The key is to NEVER use your best square on for day to day measuring. Use it only as a reference tool to verify your other day to day tools.

In a comparison test reported in Fine Woodworking Magazine a couple of years ago, the Stanley 46-123 square was awarded the best value. It's much less expensive than a Starrett and just as accurate.

Howie..........
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

View AndyDuframe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post
Finally, remember that the wood you are using will expand and contract a couple of thousands from one day to the other. Does't pay to get too uptight.
Great post, Howard. I'm with you, perfection can often be a hopeless pursuit. Spending extra money on tools to produce a level of accuracy that a human eye can't even see might be kind of silly. I guess it depends on the project, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode