• 1 Post By Pretender
  • 1 Post By Shop_Rat
  • 2 Post By JohnGi
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Noek

post #1 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Best Wood Filler that acts like wood

Suppose you've taken a chunk out of a piece of wood that's about 1/2" deep and 1" square and you end up regretting that.

As an alternative to starting the piece all over again, what's the best product and technique, if any, for filling in the hole so that it becomes like the wood it replaces: sandable, paintable, (but no need to match stain) and able to accept screws, etc?

Do you fill the hole in in stages? Is there anything that comes in a, like. cork gun tube that serves this purpose?

Thanks. Matching color is not an issue.

All builds are discovery builds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
photos would get us all on the same page as you.
most wood "issues" are handled in different ways with different products.
will the project be painted, stained or clear coated ?
and I think you are referring to a caulking gun vs cork gun ?

Noek likes this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 10:58 AM

View WoodyWeekends's Photo Album My Photos
Make the hole nice with crisp edges. Make a block of wood from the same species just a little smaller than the hole, but a little higher than the depth of the hole. Try to match the grain. Glue the block into the hole and remove the portion of the block sticking above the board.
Hope this makes sense.

Woody
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodyWeekends For This Useful Post:
Noek (06-04-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 01:09 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
without a picture....

from the makers of JB Weld (every mechanics friend) i give you JB WoodWeld

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8251.../dp/B004NB3OMS

post #5 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 03:29 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Bondo would be my product of choice.
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Robert
post #6 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWeekends View Post
Make the hole nice with crisp edges. Make a block of wood from the same species just a little smaller than the hole, but a little higher than the depth of the hole. Try to match the grain. Glue the block into the hole and remove the portion of the block sticking above the board.
Hope this makes sense.
This will look much better than any putty.
If you match the grain carefully it will be (almost) invisible.
IowaDave likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
Bondo would be my product of choice.
While Bondo would fit the bill for sandable and paintable, it would shatter if a screw were driven directly into it. In fact, the screw requirement really precludes most of the fillers. Most formulas are simply too brittle, unless maybe a pilot hole were drilled. Success would would still be a roll of the dice. Products like Bondo also do not shrink nor expand much, if any, with temperature and humidity changes. If the wood comes and goes very much, cracks are likely to form around the edges of the repair.

Someone mentioned fitting a chunk of wood in the void. That is probably a better idea all around if screws will be driven in that area. If no screws then several different brands of fillers would work to at least some degree.
IowaDave likes this.

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 AM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
Like Woody says, I'd use a wood plug. If you use a water based glue like Titebond, let it cure for a day or two before you trim it or the edges won't stay flush. If you are trying to minimize the visual effect or maximize the strength, the best plug may not be a simple square and may be bigger than the hole. I've turned hole saws into plug cutters to patch round knot holes, and I find the curved edge calls less attention to itself than a straight cross grain line. A short patch will be more likely to split if you drive a screw through it. A patch longer than it needs to be will retain more long grain integrity.
IowaDave and Frost like this.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Exactly, it's woodworking!

Quote:
Hope this makes sense.

Wood will act like wood. Just make your block first, with square corners and a smidge larger than the hole. Using a very sharp blade like an Exacto, to scribe all around the edges of the block with the grain running the same direction as the surrounding wood. Then using the sharpest chisel you own, carefully pare down to the scribed lines. This is a good video of that process:

When it's an exact fit, glue it and tap it into the opening/hole but leave just enough sticking above to plane and sand flush. No need to be heavy handed here. It will hold just fine. It should be totally seamless and you would have to know where it's at to find it. It will even stain up quite well.
IowaDave likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-03-2020 at 09:38 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 AM

View Noek's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hope this makes sense.
I'm not a professional but this is good advice and exactly what I did and it worked great. It required patience and time but it turned out great. I had a chunk taken out of a project I was doing with red oak and I just cut a long sliver down from the same wood (scrap pieces) and lightly tapped it into the crack with glue and sanded it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3348.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	390607  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	390609  

Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-04-2020, 05:31 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noek View Post
I'm not a professional but this is good advice and exactly what I did and it worked great. It required patience and time but it turned out great. I had a chunk taken out of a project I was doing with red oak and I just cut a long sliver down from the same wood (scrap pieces) and lightly tapped it into the crack with glue and sanded it.
Dang! Better 'n Photoshop! Well done!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Repairing a split off corner using wood .....

In the process of making this chisel storage box I split off a small section of the corner. It wouldn't do to use anything other than rear wood that matched, so I planed a flat on it and glued on a larger triangle section. Then I planed that down flush and it turned out great:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-04-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode