Best way to remove stain from old furniture? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b
  • 1 Post By sgcz75b

post #1 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View Microscopes's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to remove stain from old furniture?

I have been using CitriStrip stripper on an old dresser, and after 3 coats it still looks like the photo below. It’s taken off some, but not a ton. Any recommendations on better products or better methods to get the stain off so I can stain it a different color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A9D1720-9FFE-43E9-B0B8-29FD40C046A4_1554223273943.jpg (446.0 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It may be stripped about as good as it's going to get unless you take it to a furniture refinishing shop and have it done. Big brother has recently banned the chemical that makes paint strippers effective to the DIY. Citristrip is a pretty crummy product but I can't say I know of one better. You might use a random orbital sander with some coarse paper and try sanding the rest off. Start with 60 or 80 grit and sand the majority of the color off and change paper to a finer grit and continue. Keep going until you at least sand with 180 grit. It also helps make your sanding more effective if you dampen the wood and raise the grain between grit changes.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 PM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microscopes View Post
I have been using CitriStrip stripper on an old dresser, and after 3 coats it still looks like the photo below. It’s taken off some, but not a ton. Any recommendations on better products or better methods to get the stain off so I can stain it a different color?

Oxalic acid. Will bleach the wood. Do this before you sand and it will save you a ton of sanding. Sanding to remove stains is the last resort and often leaves a uneven mess that will require more work.

Available at Home Depot, but cheaper at Amazon. Good for many things in the workshop.

https://www.amazon.com/OXALIC-Ethane.../dp/B01IPL7MZ6
mjadams61 likes this.

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity." Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by sgcz75b; 04-02-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
For a top, I recommend block sanding. Start with 100 grit and work through 180 grit. Even a small orbital sander can get you uneven on a flat top. Okay to use initially but go to block sanding with full even strokes to complete the finish sanding.
Hopefully the top is not veneer.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
If the piece is in good shape structurally, I'd follow Steve's advice about having commercially stripped and washed. If there is stain left, then bleaching with the oxalic acid or bleach. Then lots of sanding as the wood will be pretty rough afterwards.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #6 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 AM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcz75b View Post
Oxalic acid. Will bleach the wood. Do this before you sand and it will save you a ton of sanding. Sanding to remove stains is the last resort and often leaves a uneven mess that will require more work.

Available at Home Depot, but cheaper at Amazon. Good for many things in the workshop.

https://www.amazon.com/OXALIC-Ethane.../dp/B01IPL7MZ6
Once my back is healed up enough from back surgery where my wife :) and my doctor are satisfy enough where I can tinker around the woodshop again I have a project where I have alot of grooves and cuts that need to be cleaned of old stain but cannot afford to have it done commercially so wonder how good oxalic acid is. Now I dont care how long it has to stay to get te job done and bleaching the wood is not a big concern but how good is it really? I miss the stuff that uncle sam took away. And soaking the wood be better or just wipe on and let it sit?

Marlin
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Beware of purists

View sgcz75b's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjadams61 View Post
Once my back is healed up enough from back surgery where my wife :) and my doctor are satisfy enough where I can tinker around the woodshop again I have a project where I have alot of grooves and cuts that need to be cleaned of old stain but cannot afford to have it done commercially so wonder how good oxalic acid is. Now I dont care how long it has to stay to get te job done and bleaching the wood is not a big concern but how good is it really? I miss the stuff that uncle sam took away. And soaking the wood be better or just wipe on and let it sit?
Oxalic acid bleaches the wood. It does a good job for me. For stripping wood of varnish, lacquer, or shellac finish, use a stripper first. Either a commercial stripper or a homemade stripper of either TSP or lye.

Then, if stains remain, use oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is particularly good at removing black/brown tannin stains in oak and other woods with tannins. But it works well overall to remove other stains, including those applied stains.

Regular household bleach can also be used to bleach wood, but I find oxalic acid to be more effective and requires no neutralizing after use as does bleach.

While applied finishes have new names, there's not much that has changed in finishes in 100 years, particularly in removing them, though in many cases the strippers are now underpowered.

Oxalic acid is just another tool in the arsenal.
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode