Best way to remove excess epoxy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Needleman85

View Brendan Zachar's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to remove excess epoxy

I have a question about removing those pesky epoxy peaks that seem to form after closing gaps and holes with live edge. Is the best tool to use a chisel or are there other items that would be better suited for removal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With any adhesive you are better off removing anything while it's still wet. With epoxy wipe off the excess with acetone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Brendan Zachar (09-27-2018)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
If it is dry a card scraper will take it off, just work slowly not to gouge the wood
mjadams61 and NoThankyou like this.

There is no app for experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Lift off the gooby, squeeze-out droplets with a dry cotton Q-tip. Any over-smear will defeat your finish.

Next, there are always some that won't form until you have left the shop and gone to bed.
I let those harden and carefully carve them off with a freshly sharpened chisel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Needleman85

View Brendan Zachar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
Lift off the gooby, squeeze-out droplets with a dry cotton Q-tip. Any over-smear will defeat your finish.

Next, there are always some that won't form until you have left the shop and gone to bed.
I let those harden and carefully carve them off with a freshly sharpened chisel.
Can you elaborate a bit further on lift off the gooby parts? And what do you mean by squeezing out the droplets with a Q-tip?

Thank you!
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:48 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
All my epoxy work these days is done to set up crooked knife blades as surface hafted for wood carving.
I'm using mostly JB Weld 2-part mix.
I get everything clamped together and watch the squeeze-out happen.
I roll up those droplets on Q-Tips.

There is always some squeeze out after I leave the shop.
The shop is cold so I get more open working time that 20C or warmer.
I just let it happen and carve it off tomorrow.

Years back, I did a lot of epoxy prep work for electron microscopy. We were ignorant and a little sloppy.
Even decades later, I still experience a skin contact allergy to epoxy (fair Caucasian skin type).
That itches like I can't describe. Simple vinyl gloves might have made a huge difference.
Don't get messy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
This is one area where i have to disagree with steve, attempting to wipe off epoxy, especially from porous woods, just makes a mess. I dont particularly like chipping off dried epoxy either. Luckily, epoxy does have a small, magical window where it isnt liquid but it isnt quite set, kinda like playdough, and when it hits that point you can take a sharp knife and trim off the squeezeout without issue. A tiny bit might get left behind, but that much can be taken care of with sanding.

If thats not an option, chip off what you can with a chisel, then sand it. Epoxy sands pretty easily.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 08:27 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Cotton might leave fuzzies? SWMBO uses little foam applicators to make herself more beautiful than she already is.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
This is one area where i have to disagree with steve, attempting to wipe off epoxy, especially from porous woods, just makes a mess. I dont particularly like chipping off dried epoxy either. Luckily, epoxy does have a small, magical window where it isnt liquid but it isnt quite set, kinda like playdough, and when it hits that point you can take a sharp knife and trim off the squeezeout without issue. A tiny bit might get left behind, but that much can be taken care of with sanding.

If thats not an option, chip off what you can with a chisel, then sand it. Epoxy sands pretty easily.
You don't just make a little wipe you scrub it off until you think you have it all and then wet a clean part of the rag and scrub it again. It leaves no residue of the glue behind.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-28-2018, 03:45 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You don't just make a little wipe you scrub it off until you think you have it all and then wet a clean part of the rag and scrub it again. It leaves no residue of the glue behind.
Acetone thins epoxy, we it down and itll just drive it further into the wood. Theres still residue there, i can promise that much, and it can affect the finish you put on it. Ive lost a few knives that way, its how i know its better to let it be until its solidified, then peel/scrape/chisel it off

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 12 Old 09-28-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Acetone thins epoxy, we it down and itll just drive it further into the wood. Theres still residue there, i can promise that much, and it can affect the finish you put on it. Ive lost a few knives that way, its how i know its better to let it be until its solidified, then peel/scrape/chisel it off
I've never not been able to completely clean epoxy off. I just made a rough cedar gate this week and managed to use too much epoxy and was able to wash it off to where it would take the stain with any scraping or sanding. You have to work fast though and get it before it thickens.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-07-2018, 10:13 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
Alcohol will cut it if it not set up. If its hardend, if you put heat gun on it, it will scrape right off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode